1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kegs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Who has had one of the little draft kegs that are all the rage now? Everybody seems to have out their version. They proclaim to last for up to 30 days in the fridge. I have put off getting one because it's roughly 14 beers. That's three days tops at my place, so I figured what's the point.

That is until I was in the store and came across a little keg of fresh Newcastle. Oh my dear goodness I am in heaven.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They are pretty cool. I've got one in the mini-fridge in my workshop. Takes up less space than a 12-pack and there are no empties for the wife to count to dispose of when you're done.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

At some point in my life, I will have a full size kegorator in my house...

I haven't tried the new mini drafts because I'm not too crazy about the price point. I can get a 24 pack of Miller Lite cans for $14.99 plus tax. The home draft systems seem to be selling for $20+ around here. That's 8 more beers for $5 less.

I prefer the taste of draft beer, but not for that much of a surcharge. Kinda funny, considering draft beer is almost universally cheaper in bars (I realize the packaging in these home draft kits is likely the reason for the high price).

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Has Sam Adams started doing this yet?

OK, I'll wait then...

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

not just the packaging but the bars have the taps and the co2 pumps and reuse them numerous times. plus those are full kegs, more quantity, cheaper price. i thought these little draft kegs were like 20 beers, they are a bit overpriced. i remember first seeing the heineken kegs about 4 years ago.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"Miller Lite" and "taste" should not be used in the same post.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Oh, an aristocrat

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Actually for the Newcastle keg, it's the same price as a 12-pack but you get two-three more beers. I don't know if that was a special price or regular.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

you shut your gawd-dam mouth!

:)

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I seem to recall mini-kegs when I was at UConn in the mid-to-late 90s. Dinklelacker (sp?) and Dab were the two that come to mind, and half of it ended on the floor during poker games because they would invariably tip over and the tap would fall out.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I drink my beer out of a boot. I don't care where it comes from before that.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

DAS BOOT!

Draft saved Draft deleted