1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z's memoirs - 1980 Olympics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Dr. Z's wife has a blog and she posted a handful of pages of the memoirs he was working on when he had his strokes. These are from the 1980 Moscow Games and they're pretty interesting. Man, this book would've been great.

http://baileyzimmerman.blogspot.com/2010/03/march.html

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Flaming Redhead. Thanks for posting this, never would have seen it. He's definitely still missed on the pages of SI and the website.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, that's great stuff.

Has anyone done a book on the 80 Olympics? I'd love to read a good in-depth look at those Games.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That was really good.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"He looked about as Jewish as Rosie O'Grady's father" is a funny line.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great stuff.

7. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

A great journalist and a wonderful dinner companion with an expertise in wine. Known Z since the 1970s. One thing I miss in the football press box is Z timing the singing of the national anthem. Can only wish him a full recovery and a full return to his cantankerous and wonderful voice.

8. tmr

tmr Member

He was my favorite read on the Internet the last five, six years before his stroke. I really looked forward to his stories and mailbag. Talk about a guy adapting to the medium. He was fun and snarky and most off all, informative. His videos with Brooklyn Decker were classic. I really wish I would've re-read his football book before this season.

9. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

John Powers and Tim Wendel wrote books about the 1980 hockey team at the time. Tim's book was just republished.

Wayne Coffey did a book, "The Boys of Winter," a few years ago on that team.

They are all worth your time in different ways, and you probably can get a used copy cheap somewhere. Tim followed the team around more on the pre-Olympic tour, and then wrote chapters on some of the players after the fact. Powers was more of a play-by-play of the Olympics.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've read Boys of Winter.

I was asking about books on the 80 Summer Games.

Draft saved Draft deleted