1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr Z vs Peter King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Mandatory interviews of women for HC jobs?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fuck. I just laughed real hard.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How Come the Rooney rule only applies to African American canidates? Why not include Latan Americans?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Don't believe that's the case. It would apply to Norm Chow, any Asian candidate or a Latino candidate.

So they too can get a 15-minute BS interview so the league can pat itself on the back as Peter King administers fellatio.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

PK can't provide the reach-around, too ?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I believe it applies to any minority candidate, so Norm Chow and Ron Rivera are included just the same as Mike Tomlin.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well said. We're starting to see some of the effects now, but the real impact of the Rooney Rule will be seen in a few more years, when the coaching carousel goes around a few times. The guys that have gotten their foot in the door with the Rooney Rule, if they make any kind of impression at all and do a good job in the interim to keep their name out there, should leap to the front the next time around.
    And once all of the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips of the world retire in a decade or so, I think you'll see tons more opportunities open up.

As for Tagliabue, I can understand some of the vitriol. He's done some things to alienate the common fan, like the sharp increase in ticket prices. But he's also taken the league to a level far beyond where it was when he took over.
    He was smart enough to see what labor strife did to other sports, and avoided that in his own. Then he was able to take advantage of that to send the NFL into the stratosphere. How is that a knock against him? Just because his name isn't Pete Rozelle Jr. shouldn't keep him out of the Hall.
    When you look at the construction workers pouring the foundation of a skyscraper, do you praise them and poo-poo the efforts of the steelworkers who put the building together?
    And the argument that he simply did his job? Laughable. By that standard, nobody should be in the Hall of Fame. After all, wasn't Joe Montana's job to throw touchdown passes and win Super Bowls? Wasn't Walter Payton supposed to rush for 1,000 yards a season, or Jerry Rice to catch 100 passes a year?

Draft saved Draft deleted