1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr Z vs Peter King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate how the Pro Bowl is used as a barometer. All-Pro selections should mean a lot more, less politics involved.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I think William Clay Ford deserves a spot in the HOF... if he didn't manage his franchise the way he does, some of you might not have had the opportunity to succeed the way you have..."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My guess is that it was Sanders ability to run after catching ball that attracted voters. I would label him John Mackey lite. Since Mackey was there first I don't think Charlie Sanders redefined position. Closest player to him today might be Shockey.

In Sanders era there were 2 other tight ends that might have been compariable

Ted Kwalwick and Charles Young. Overall Kwalick had better numbers.

If I were a voter I do not think I would have voted for Sanders.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kinda hard to ignore seven Pro Bowl selections in 10 years in an era where the Pro Bowl had better quality players than it does now. (NO, I'm not saying better talent. But a smaller pool to draw from -- like the number of quality pitchers in MLB today as opposed to 50 years ago when there were only 16 teams.)

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Rick Reilly was on Dan Patrick today talking about the issue, briefly, and Reilly said Tags was shot down that "some people in the room don't like anybody." Patrick mentioned Dr. Z and Reilly said he wasn't allowed to comment. One great "I'm Rick Reilly" moment: Discussing reporters' complaints that Tags was tough to reach, not interested in helping out the media, Reilly said, "I've never had a problem reaching him!"

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Saw Sanders play on numerous occasions. He was front-rank, but the fact that he was a stickout skill-player on RELATIVELY modest teams probably aided his cause. Given how tough the HOF's
    been on tight ends, historically, he probably deserves to be in.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if he was Rick Reilly of the Boulder Daily Camera, would he still have that same accessibility?

Thanks for that insight, Rick

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Z likes plenty of guys for the Hall and will tell you about it. It's usually just not the most popular guys. And in some cases, such as Ray Guy vs. Tommy Davis, he's got a hell of an argument to back up his position.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.

Those guys created the NFL, and then the Super Bowl.

Tags did nothing of the sort.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First, Tags isn't an old man, so if he has to cool his heels a bit before entry, no harm done. In my mind, he was a respectable candidate, and will get in eventually, but there were candidates ahead of him.
    Don't be the guy who replaces the legend is as old a cliche as football has. Tagliabue replaced the legend and did well. There have been plenty of businesses as successful as the NFL where that didn't happen, so it's nothing to sneer at.
    FWIW, although I certainly never had one-one-millionth of Rick's clout, when I absolutely positively had to get to Tagliabue, he was available-eventually.
    If Zimmerman led the charge against Tagliabue over the issue of media access, that's about as petty as it gets, a parody of the kind of jerks many readers think sportswriters are.
    Fighting for access=good. Holding lost fights against a retired commissioner=stupid.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree to disagree. If your standard is that only the guys who were there in the beginning are notable, he certainly falls short. The year of his birth puts him at a big disadvantage to Bert Bell. I also know that the NFL is the healthiest pro sports league in America and it assumed that place under Tagliabue. The title of commissioner nowadays can just as easily be filled by a Bud Selig or Gary Bettman, as it can by a Paul Tagliabue. And he was good at what he did. He wasn't Pete Rozelle, but that is partially because when he took over he was steering a cruise ship, not a small sail boat. Rozelle was also a PR man who grew the league's popularlity by force of his personality, which was warm and likeable. That leaves people with fond memories. Taqliabue was a lawyer, had the warm personality of, well, a lawyer, and he made his mark with a keen financial vision for the league, which is harder for the typical person to get his arms around and understand.

12. chester

chester Member

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I'll throw it out there. I would liken Tagliabue to George Seifert - came in replacing a legend, didn't screw it completely up and won the big one. But that's just my opinion, and I obviously don't have a vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted