1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z suffers strokes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Just because someone has money doesn't mean they have to spend it. In fact, not spending money is one of the surest ways to have it.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Fine. But until someone comes up with his pay stub to prove otherwise, I'm going to look at his modest lifestyle he lives here and say that he's not as loaded as people thinks.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You realize, MMS, a "modest-looking house in Mountain Lakes" would be considered a mansion by some folks here.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

my .02: what z makes is irrelevant. but rest assured -- all of you so eager to be jealous -- no way does he make $1 mill or more. geez.

5. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

A few years ago, while in Baltimore on a road trip I found a terrific little used-book store about a 10-minute walk from the Inner Harbor and one of the gems I picked up there was "The Last Season of Weeb Ewbank," which was a day-by-day book Dr. Z wrote about the 1973 Jets.

The season itself was forgettable enough -- Jets went 4-10, Namath got hurt, O.J. got to 2,003 in the snow at Shea on the last day against a team mailing it in -- but the stuff in there about how Z did his job at the Post, day to day, was off-the-hook incredible. Just a tremendous insight into how probably the greatest football beat writer ever did his job, the legwork, the shoe leather, the ability to call anyone and everyone he needed to (in a pre-cell era, of course) and also some interesting vintage stuff, like the fact he would fly back from Buffalo (or Miami or Cincinnati or wherever) on the team charter and then head into the old Post offices and write his story there (the paper was a legit P.M. then, remember).

Looks like you can find a few copies here:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-Weeb-Ewbank/dp/B000NVAIQ2

Trust me, it'sa worthwhile get.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This has gone from concern about a person's health to quibbling about how much money he makes and what kind of car he drives.

Embarrassing.

7. Embarrassing and pathetic.

People, have a fucking clue.

Paul is resting in the hospital and you're bickering about his salary and the price of his home? Are you fucking serious?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Peter King had an update in today's MMQB:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/25/walkup/index.html

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

This really is a great book, and it also shows some insights into Zimmerman. Yes, even then he was obsessed with timing the National Anthem and finding good wine. Also, the version I have, shows Z with semi-dark hair and early 70s sideburns, which is priceless.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

I wish Dr. Z the best. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say he's the best pro football beat writer ever. i had the good fortune once to meet him at a Super Bowl, way back when, and I was amazed at his work ethic, how he gathered information, etc.
    He is an example to all of us on how to do things the right way.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://deadspin.com/5263026/in-praise-of-dr-z?skyline=true&s=i

They had a party for him, but he's just not getting better.

With Roger Ebert and Ted Koppel, one of my main idols growing up. Sad beyond words.

Draft saved Draft deleted