1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z suffers strokes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He's one of the writers that really drew me in to football. Hope he's back and on his feet soon. Get well Dr. Z!

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I love his off-field stuff as well, specifically the yearly announcer ratings. From last year's half-star review of the Monday Night crew:

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Been an idol of mine since I was a little kid. Maybe the biggest influence on me as a journalist, especially in the attitude I try to bring to my work. And I know I'm not alone. His work defines greatness for me, and I think every beat jockey strives to be as meticulous as him.

Devastating. Heartbreaking. A punch in the gut. A shot to the heart.

Motherf%$#er. Damn. Please, please get well, Dr. Z.

I can't get the e-mail link in King's article to work. Can someone please post it or PM me?

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's the lead of PK's Monday Morning Quarterback on si.com right now, Piotr.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Finally got it, thanks. I hate how Macs don't let you just run your mouse over it and display the address without clicking on it.

And it's just siwriters@simail. Thanks, Peter King, for providing the catchall e-mail.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can still remember how he led stories of the New York Giants Super Bowl win over Buffalo and Washington's Super Bowl win over Buffalo to this day.

No one is as must-read on football as Dr. Z is. Nobody.

I pray he recovers fast.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible news to wake up to. I hope his recovery goes as smoothly as his tales do.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If was in charge of NFL Films, I would fervently pray for a full recovery and go over to his house with a camera and get hours of tape of him telling stories and recalling old memories.

9. BuckeyeGA

BuckeyeGA New Member

So I wonder if this means that Dr. Z will be among the 40 SI employees taking the buyout.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck off.

Get well, Dr. Z. You're one voice that sports fans need right now.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Get well, Dr. Z. One of the biggest tributes I can lay on him is that after all these years, he still gives a shit about the subject(s) he covers. One of the least is that I read him voraciously as a kid, and he became a huge influence on me.

12. Piotr Rasputin

The Giants one was about Parcells saying "Power wins football games. Power wins football games."

"Win one Super Bowl and you're a winning Super Bowl coach. Win two and you're a man with a plan (?), an approach to the game that must be studied and copied."

Damn. Damn damn damn.

And BuckeyeGA: I'm sure you're one of those who thinks Reilly is still worth reading, and that Simmons brings insight. Respect Dr. Z.

Draft saved Draft deleted