1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DR Z Picked The Colts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That ought to earn anyone's respect. Imagine someone doing that nowadays. Just won't happen.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Giants over Broncos prediction on the cover has stuck with me, as well.

I hadn't recalled his picking all the other teams right.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At risk of sounding like I am head of DR Z fan club here is link to best analysis of SB that I have read. As bonus he give a dig to Miami Herald lead columnist ( Dan LeBartard?)

Sadly its the type of writing that apparently the masses don't want but its certainly what the hard core football fan wants. Solid analysis written by someone who understands the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/02/06/analysis/index.html

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, I had been looking for it but never found it. He's the best read when it comes to the NFL.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is Dr' Z's little dig at the Herald:

If I were a selector, I might have voted for Addai as MVP, but Manning, with all the ups and downs he's had, was a better story, a sentimental choice for the award. The lead sports columnist in Monday's Miami Herald wrote a piece in which Manning was mentioned 21 times, Addai not once. A sidebar on the game had a 16-1 ratio. Sentiment wins at Super Bowl time.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a silly observation.

The lead column was a "gentlemen win" angle highlighting Dungy and Manning. Of course Manning was mentioned 21 times and Addai zero.

"A sidebar on the game" happened to be . . . a Manning sidebar.

It was one of several sidebars.

"Another sidebar" was on the offense. It mentioned Manning exactly . . . once.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Dr. Z said today he's off the mag for 6 months at half-pay, presumably in line with the cuts. Though he doesn't do anything in the mag (still on si.com) aside from his picks and NFL previews and sidebars anymore anyway, so it's no loss.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that he was writing a book.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Is he? Awesome, if so. I have his '71 book, not the updated one from the 80s. Either way, it probably helps the company a bit. I'm sure his salary is substantial.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think that Brady winning the MVP in either of his SBs was bogus, as was Emmitt in XXVIII, but I think that Manning having one turnover, handling the ball 81 times and making the play he did to see Wayne at the last second for that huge touchdown was very deserving of MVP.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was very much a team win.

And without any garish statistics by anyone, tie usually goes to the quarterback.

Something else to consider that doesn't show up in a stat line: Several of those runs by Addai and Rhodes were changed into runs at the line of scrimmage . . . by Manning.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Love me some Dr. Z. But I wish he'd quit picking 7-8 games every week in SI. The league's just too goofy to predict consistently, and the weeks where he only hits two or three picks kind of cheapen his otherwise fabulous analysis.

Draft saved Draft deleted