1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. V's magical putter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sure the ESPN ombud will weigh in on this any day now.

Also, good stuff on Gangrey about it.

http://gangrey.com/?p=5260

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes. And you're one sick individual if your take from that story is that the writer took glee in outing this woman. A chill ran up his spine because he knew he was in deep shit when that Pandora's Box was opened. Her being transgendered was not the con, but it's the part she didn't want revealed. The con, as others have said, was using false information to secure investors and build a putter that might or might not have worked. The author indicates that he made a few more putts than usual because her BS story gave him confidence in the club. And as anyone who has played golf knows, confidence is a big part of it. The writer had no choice but to reveal the fraud. Well, he could have just squashed the story, but I don't see how a journalist could justify that. And I'm sure he's sick about even working on this story and finding out this information.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

From a commenter on the above link, this is pretty much where I line up on this:

Here, I think Caleb made the correct call. This subject was financially benefitting off others. An investor gave her $60,000 to make these golf clubs, in large part because Dr. V claimed to be an accomplished aerospace engineer with a degree from M.I.T. So Caleb looks into her background, and what he finds is disturbing, and the result of the pursuit is disturbing. But the initial choice to fact-check her background is correct.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What could they possibly need ESPN legal for? Was the trans-sexual revelation not true?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't know, thinking aloud.

Also, Dr. V committed suicide 3 months ago and the story is just now running? Something strange about this story.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seems that the author STILL doesn't know the answers to some of the questions he unlocked. And that is probably why the story is just now running. They were going over it for legal issues and to be sure they felt comfortable running it.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's something else that turns me off about this story:

Hannan spent eight months working on this story, diving into her financial history, her personal history, her previous suicide attempt, etc. ... clearly doing a TON of background research on her as a person ... and yet he either didn't do any research on transgender people or, worse, he didn't care enough to learn how to write properly about a trans woman. (PROTIP: Use she/her as pronouns, not he/him — that's the very, very least you can do.) Hannan didn't even do that much.

http://www.autostraddle.com/dr-v-is-dead-caleb-hannan-is-celebrated-why-we-cant-accept-lazy-transmisogynistic-journalism-218408/

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But look at the specific wording. Is he wrong? "A troubled man who had invented a new life for himself." That new life was as a woman. It seems to me to be a perfectly accurate description. I understand the complaint if Hannan refers to Dr. V as "he" once Dr. V was Dr. V, but Stephen the married father was quite definitely a "he" before there was a transformation.

One thing that's frustrating for me: really, the transgender part is a fairly minor part of the story here, but it's sort of being hijacked as the lynchpin of the piece. Perhaps Hannan made more of it than he should have, but to me it's an interesting but in the end a less-than-defining part of what was at work here.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree, but since it's more than likely the reason she killed herself, that will naturally be the focus of the criticism. He was wrong to out her to the investor, but I think he used that anecdote to illustrate that most of the people who had met her weren't too surprised when they found out.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The investor was surprised. He thought she was a striking woman.

He just took the news calmly, instead of collapsing into a fit of giggles, which the author thought was odd.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The whole point of being transgender is that she was never a "he" on the inside.

So yes, in writing about a trans woman as a "troubled man," Hannan's phrase is wrong. Regardless of any other deceptions or frauds committed by Dr. V, which are all fair game, that description is completely inaccurate.

And Hannan, who did so much research and spent so much time on this story, should really have known better. Or his editors should have. From a journalism perspective, that's unacceptable.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm not a golfer, so can someone explain magical thinking to me?

I see it as normal, rational golfers (duffers or pros) believing any piece of equipment will radically improve their game and, when they put they piece of equipment into action, their games actually get better?

I get people who believe in luck but that belief doesn't change outcomes.

But for golf it does?

You tell a guy who missed 6 out of 10 putts that "this putter" is science and will make you putt better and he turns around and makes 8 out of 10, or makes all of them or still misses six but "believes" his putting is better and therefore the putter is "better."

Does golf an unusually large number of flim flam artists out there? All kinds of snake oil salesmen pitching bullshit?

I really don't know.

I'd also like to know the editing process on this piece. It took eight months and as noted on some of the other blog posts linked here, he didn't do any research into trans issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.