1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. V's magical putter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please comment more about how being transgendered is a con.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Might as well. They both happened before he wrote a word.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

The author doesn't seem to understand his own story:

And, he seems to take glee in both discovering that she was born a man anatomically, and in relating this fact to the investor:

A "chill" ran up your spine because you realized she was a transgendered? Really? Why?

You can hear the author giggling to himself as he types this paragraph, remembering the original conversation:

And, what was the point of disclosing this fact to the investor, other than to find out if he too would get a chill up his spine? "Surprisingly", he took the news calmly:

Would the article have been any different if all it disclosed was that Dr. V had legally changed her name, and did not possess the credentials she claimed?

4. YankeeFan

Would anyone like to take a guess at what percentage of transgendered women attempt suicide?

If a 16-year-old high school kid had outed a transgendered classmate, who then committed suicide, we would call it bullying, and demand prosecution.

And, forgive me if I think the board would be more sympathetic under different circumstances. I remember a time when the suicide death of a person struggling with their gender identity elicited sympathy:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/74653/

5. YankeeFan

Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS

The guy's story led a person to commit suicide. I'm just. I can't.

As a reporter, you find out you have hounded a subject into suicide. And so you write the story ANYWAY? OK, I'm done. Losing it here.

6. YankeeFan

Caleb Hannan admits to outing Dr. V's transgendered status to at least one person in the article.

I'm left wondering how many other people did he out her to? Will he tell us? Will anyone ask him?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

George O'Leary won football games and represented himself as a football coach. Oh, the horrors! Right?

8. YankeeFan

ESPN really has its ducks in a row.

KVV agrees that the article "might be the best I've read this month"

Jones is defending, and lashing out at anyone who is criticizing it.

And, the best MacGregor can muster is to see it as a "Good opportunity for a bunch of us to argue craft and best practices."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This was a good read: http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2014/01/18/caleb-hannan-gender-identity-and-journalistic-ethics

So I'll ask this: Where are the editors or ESPN legal in a story like this? Hannan did great reporting. Reporter's chops. But *someone* had to have edited it, right? Were there discussions by higher-up editors? Legal?

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Are people suggesting this wasn't worthy of a story? Or that it should have been spiked?

11. YankeeFan

Is that the choice? This article, as reported, and written, or no article?

Do you believe it's "the tale of a troubled man"?

Do you believe it should have been framed where her gender is equated with the lies regarding her education and work credentials? Should the author have outed her to her investor?

And, should the story have been written so that the big reveal is that, She's a man baby!

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I got it: Hannan was used as a pawn by the golf industry to out Dr. V into suicide so it could steal her recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.