1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. V's magical putter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It would be hard not to feel some measure of guilt as the author. I mean, she was conning people. She was a liar and clearly unstable/paranoid. All the angry twitterites throwing flames at the author seem to leave out the part where she was ripping people off (like the investor she bilked out of $60,000) when they act like this woman was just minding her own business and he came along and outed her.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Shocking that you're defending ESPN.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I don't follow.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Did she really bilk anyone? In the story, the investor the writer talked to didn't seem to think so.

“She could have took my money and ran,” he said. “But she didn’t. She took it and built a great product.”

The closest she came to a crime of any sort was using a false story to help convince people to invest in her product. But she actually created the product, and by all accounts (including the investor's), it was a terrific product. So who got bilked here?

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

For certain, he did that with the investor guy. Not sure about anyone else, but it seems likely.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your implication is that it is OK to out her because she conned people.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you talking to me? I never said it was OK -- until after she was dead, in which case she doesn't care (which was mostly just kind of an inappropriately flip line, anyway). And as I just wrote, I don't think her "con" hurt anyone. I didn't see anyone in that story claiming they were hurt by what she did.

8. No.
    She/he had tried previously attempted suicide. So, no it wasn't because they were "outed" in this article.

9. Who was she ripping off?
    There was a company and it did produce a putter.
    The deception was related to he/she's previous life and background. But the golf work was legit. No one got ripped off.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure the author put that in there to deflect from his culpability.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Maybe I misread it the first time or misremember it now. I thought, while that "investor" didn't feel ripped off, she wouldn't return his calls. Where was the return on the investment though? I don't know. It's a brutal story. I'd hate myself as the author.

12. Sure.
    Or because it actually, you know, happened ... long before the story went to print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.