1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Laura says the N word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind the n-word so much.

I am tired of Shorty being in every song now.

Seriously, so the First Amendment doesn't apply to black folks using the n-word in an ironic fashion?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The government is not trying to stop them from using it.

Therefore, no First Amendment issue.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rats. Did I say First Amendment? I meant Title IX.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The idea that "Dr." Laura knows any black people well enough to ask is comedy gold in and of itself. Unless maybe she asked her maid.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a rather famous black comedian saying once Live On Sunset Strip that he'd never use that word toward another black man, again. Wish there were more out there like him.

6. Dick Whitman

Saying, "Black people say it, too!" is about the world's lamest justification for being offensive.

They're wrong, too.

And what does it have to do with this one black woman, who for all "Dr." Laura knows is equally offended by "black comedians."

But she's not married to one.

I can't believe it's beyond "Dr." Laura's comprehension to understand that someone in a mixed race marriage might feel uncomfortable at times. The way she jumped on this woman, someone she's never met, never will meet, and judged her in about three seconds, and was so angered to launch into that kind of tirade, simply shameful.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

CNN's "breaking news!" from the Larry King Show: Dr. Laura's signing off at the end of the year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/17/dr-laura-to-end-radio-sho_n_685652.html

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Go away, Ms. Schlesinger.

She is not a doctor. She has a PhD.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Playing the victim card, as that ilk has raised to an art form.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't stand her either but, if she has a doctorate, she is entitled to be referred to as a doctor.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Good one.

12. Dick Whitman

"The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights."

She has her First Amendment rights.

Nobody in the government is trying to stop her from using the N-word. She can hold a sign up on Times Square with it scrawled in crayon if she wants.

This is the Sarah Palin version of the First Amendment, where media criticism equals taking away her First Amendment rights.

Draft saved Draft deleted