1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Laura says the N word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nothing she said was inherently racist from the jump. It was tinged with ignorance and an overabundance of generalization and strawman arguments, but not blatantly racist until this
    I’m married to a Chinese woman and while there are times people ask about China, nobody asks about what Chinese people think. Mostly the questions on China are based on China’s long history of closed door policies. It is also based on the information we receive via the news. Questions about the one-child policy have been asked a bit and there are other questions about culture and schooling in China. Neither my wife nor I feel it is racist.

Laura seems to believe that asking one member of a race how all members of a race think is perfectly acceptable and normal behavior. She seems to think that there is limited interaction between the various races, and maybe in her life there is.

Her implication seems to be that everyone should simply “stick to their own kind.” If they don’t, then they must accept that they will be bombarded with questions where they must answer for all of their own race.

Absurd.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Funny. Same day the producer of "Grey's Anatomy" goes all "Blazing Saddles" at some event.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Farting around a campfire?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't hear about it.

Did he say he liked rape?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did he say, "up yours, N-word"?

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/producer-mark-gordon-uses-n-word-twice-at-tv-pilot-table-read-lifetime-notifies-abc-studios-this-needs-to-be-dealt-with/

Well, thank God he didn't have quicksand nearby. Or Alex Karras.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I do hope he'll have the good taste not to mention that I spoke to him.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

All shock jocks, regardless of political affiliation. People hate individuals like these, but the funny thing is, we still listen to them and it drives their ratings up.

Telling someone not to listen is easy. Sad thing is, who wants to turn off something and miss what comes out of their mouths?

Personally, off-topic, I have grown tired of the double standard over the N-word as a black guy. If blacks don't want others to utter that word, then we need to stop fucking using it as terms of endearment. The black community doesn't want to really debate this, and yet we should.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

She was using the word to describe how other (black) people use it.
    That this is such a big deal is amazing.
    Nothing to see here.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. I can't believe Dr. Laura doesn't think that people asking a black woman -- "do black people like this? do black people like that?" isn't racist.

Of course it is.

That she's so blind to it is amazing.

And, yes, it's racist to get your panties in a bunch because black comedians can say nigger and you can't.

Sorry about your luck.

Now, there is hateful racism and don't know any better racism. You don't have to be wearing a sheet to be racist.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, please. Read the transcript. She was thrilled that a caller gave her an opening to let loose.

And I'm not entirely clear on the constant references to HBO like it's getting away with something. Would it be better if "The Wire" - the show I'm assuming she's referring to - did not accurately reflect how inner-city blacks address each other? It's not exactly a positive portrayal. But it is realistic, and perhaps even in line with "Dr." Laura's contention that black people don't respect themselves or each other when they use the word.

And it was filmed in Baltimore, not Holly-weird, so "Dr." Laura can relax.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I do not listen to her show and am only familiar because of name recognition, but truth be told, blacks need to quit using the word.
    It makes no sense.
    And don't tell me that's just the "culture."

Draft saved Draft deleted