1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. J - the Special

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 11, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw him play in 1975 (it may have been 1974) and even though I was very young and my memories are hazy, the adults I was with made such a big deal over him that I do have a memory of it and him and his 'fro.

I just looked at his career numbers and it doesn't look like he missed any time because of knee surgery during that stretch. I really wish I had been old enough to have had an appreciation of what I was seeing when he was in the ABA. My first real memories of him are with the 76ers. He seemed like Dr. J to me during those years (Dr. J vs. Larry Bird was the first video game I got addicted to), and the team later on (even if he had slowed down half a step) of Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney and Moses Malone was a damned good team. They get lost a bit in the middle of those Lakers / Celtics rivalries of the 80s.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw him play for the Squires at the Richmond Coliseum, 74 or so, that era. He was unbelievable. Fatty Taylor, not so much. I also saw the Squires play at the Scope in Norfolk, but can't remember of Dr. J was still on the team at that time. That's a long, long time ago.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's on again tonight... I have the DVR set.

Dr. J was my first favorite basketball player... I can't wait to see this.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The old hands looked like fools when David Thompson and George Gervin had zero problems adjusting to the NBA, especially with Gervin leading the league in scoring four out of his first six seasons in the league. Most memorably, 1977-78, when he won the scoring title by an eyelash over Thompson. Thompson scored 73 points in his last game, but Gervin came back later that night with 63. A whopping 3,482 fans were in Cobo Hall to see Thompson's 73-point game.

http://www.nba.com/history/features/moment-1978-scoring-race/index.html

What did those guys in wasn't NBA opposition -- it was cocaine.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've told this story on here before, but it's worth re-visiting for this thread.

Grew up in St Louis, and the Kansas City Kings used to play an exhibition game at the old St Louis Arena once a year. One year, it's the Sixers that come to town--the late 70s version with Dr. J, Darryl Dawkins, Caldwell Jones, World B Free, McGinnis, etc.

In the pre-game warmups, the Sixers essentially put on a dunking exhibition. Instead of the standard, quarter speed lay-up line, they go full throw down throttle, and the place is erupting.

Don't think I've ever seen anything like that-before or since.

One of the things I've found strikingly familar between Dr J and Jordan is how they both were rim rattlers early in their career, basically skying past everyone to the hoop, and then both developed outside shots they didn't have coming into the league as the years went by and they lost a bit of their hops.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Don’t think the Sixers got lost in the shuffle at all. Rather, I would say the Sixers/Lakers/Celtics were the holy trinity of the NBA of that era. In the 10 year space from the 76-77 season through 85-86, the Sixers made 4 NBA finals, thrice against the Lakers.
    And the Sixers and Celtics were essentially the Affirmed/Alydar of the time in pro basketball. Five times they met in the Eastern Conference finals, with Philly taking three of those series, and three of them going the distance to 7 games.

And a comparison of the records from 79 when Birdman arrived through 86 show just how even and dominant these two teams were:

Sixers Celtics
    79 -80 59-23 61-21
    80-81 62-20 62-20
    81-82 58-24 63-19
    82-83 65-17 56-26
    83-84 52-30 62-20
    84-85 63-19 58-24
    85-86 54-28 67-15

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, I knew the Sixers were good during that time, but they definitely got lost in the shuffle. To me, at least. I remember way more about those Lakers and Celtics teams than I do about the Sixers teams. Not even close.

There's a good chance I would have grown up a Dr. J/Sixers fan had I been born a few years earlier. I really started getting into the NBA at the tail end of his career and I remember very little about his playing days.

8. Mizzougrad96

I saw the 1982-83 team when they played the Warriors. Malone scored in the high 20s, Dr. J was over 30 and they had Mo Cheeks and Andrew Toney. That was a damn good team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, I freaking loved that game as a kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

I loved it when you broke the backboard and they swept it up and chewed you out...

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sonner -- the "Beat LA" cheer originated at the Boston Garden, Celtics fans cheering on the Sixers after it became clear that Boston was going to lose Game 7 of the '82 Eastern Conference finals. Perhaps the greatest crowd moment ever.

The Sixers were absolutely there with the other two.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. The Bucks fan in me remembers those teams all too well. :mad:

Bucks were in the 50, sometimes 60-win range in that era, but could never break through.

Draft saved Draft deleted