1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyle vs. Finebaum. Let's get it on!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Be careful, someone might take that list-you-can-count-on-one-hand, turn it into a fist and punch you with it.

2. mb

mb Active Member

God willing, they'll duel. And both be on the money.

3. sbordow

sbordow New Member

I don't know Gregg, but I think the way he writes is another sad comment on our industry. It's not about substance anymore; it's who shouts the loudest. Fortunately, there are still columnists like Posnanski, Whicker, Plaschke and others who understand that writing is an art and not a left hook.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Well said.

The funny thing about Doyel ripping Finebaum is that they both use the same tired schtick. Probably took each of 'em about 15 minutes to bat out the columns that are in question here.

If Doyel and Finebaum were locked in a room, I'm sure that Doyel would be the one to survive. Unless, of course, we could figure out a way to lose the key.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A pity there has to be a winner.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly. It's not my thing and I'm not a fan of it, but he's made a pretty good career taking a talk radio approach to online writing. It's all entertainment. Don't take any of it seriously. I imagine Doyle doesn't.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Great. From now on, I don't give a flying fuck about anything or anyone. I'm the next Gregg Doyel.

Sports journalism isn't rocket surgery or brain science, but some of us like to take it seriously and have some standards of decency, ethics and a moral compass.

Pardon the rant,
    Your Humble Dinosaur

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anybody else figure he's trying to read "Family Circus" in that photo? I bet his lips are moving.

Tune in next week when he calls Finebaum a poopiehead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

He's about 39 years old at the time of this picture, yes? And isn't this the same d-bag who told the Big Lead a while back that he once cussed out his 6-year-old's bus driver because "he had it coming"?

Seems like Doyel reeks inferiority complex.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

During the 15 seconds I listened today, Finebaum was whining about that on the air...
    He still thinks he's the mover and shaker who can get coaches fired. I prefer to think of him as the guy who sat and had breakfast in the kitchen with Fox6 and Nick Saban during a happy talk morning show.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I will hold my comments to quoting these, while correcting BYH's spelling of Doyel.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Settle down dude. I'm not condoning Doyel's approach, I'm not calling it the wave of the future and I sure wouldn't imitate it. But it's working for him, and more importantly, it's working for sportsline.com CBSSports.com. To rail about the guy only further feeds the beast (and I'm not calling either Doyel or CBSSports.com a beast, it's just a figure of speech).

Draft saved Draft deleted