1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel to participate in "celebrity" boxing match at Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Dec 20, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because nothing says sex symbol. ... and tough guy. ... quite like Henry Winkler.

I still can't believe that we bought the whole Fonz thing when we were kids. It's not like we couldn't see that it was Henry Winkler! What were we thinking?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't know what it was, but he was eminently believable, at least to this seven-year-old who had no other reputable source of cool.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

False alarm.

The whole damn event was canceled via e-mail to the "fighters" this morning, claiming a "contract dispute" with the host venue.

(i.e. no one would pay money to come watch this)

So Doyle can go back to thinking he's the baddest ass at the game, without the indignity of a couple black eyes and a missing tooth.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shocking cancellation.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sure he can find someone to fight, sanctioned or not.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know Kirby well enough to try to arrange something anyhow. I can't guarantee he'll fight Doyel for the hell of it, with no $$ involved (I am assuming the money was going to charity, but I don't know), but if you're looking in Gregg, I'd be happy to play promoter and I am not looking for anything here other than the spectacle. I'll tell Kirby you are itching to fight him cause you thought you could lick him and you are really disappointed this isn't happening. Any time, any place. Is he man enough to face you?

Maybe we can aim for Penn Station, since this is SportsJournalists.com?

What do you say?

Draft saved Draft deleted