1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel to participate in "celebrity" boxing match at Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Dec 20, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not even sure what can be said here.

http://www.celebritytoughmanchallenge.com/events.php

1.) Terry Kirby's got a good 50 pounds on him. Also, a good 4 inches.

2.) I wish the Bladeses were fighting each other.

3.) Who's the "Joe" in the Duper-Brian Blades fight?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am disappointed Danny Bonaduce is not involved.

3. imjustagirl

Threat of lawsuits and/or murder would preclude that. :D

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There isn't a Joe in the Mark Duper-Brian Blades matchup. There is a Joe Rose in the matchup against Bennie Blades. Rose was a TE with the Miami Dolphins in the mid-'80s. He, along with Bruce Hardy, were the TEs when the Dolphins got that Marino guy to run the offense.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy crap! This is awesome!

6. Sam Mills 51

Funny ... there's suddenly a run on Terry Kirby jerseys on eBay.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw Terry Kirby a few months ago. Looks like he is still in really good shape and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would know how to pull punches once he starts throwing them. I know Doyel looks in on this board. Best of luck with that one, Gregg.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think too many people - even those around them all the time - who aren't big-time, real, live athletes realize just how wide the gap is between the average joe good athlete for an average joe and the real live athlete.

Gregg could well be the "toughest" and best boxer among the likes of us. Terry Kirby is a real, live big-time athlete.

9. Sam Mills 51

Ditto. Best of luck, Gregg.

10. imjustagirl

It was a reference to it being a "pros vs. celebrity joes" boxing match. They're both ex-athletes.

11. Sam Mills 51

My mistake - as usual.

The same question could be asked of the Bennie Blades-Joe Rose bout if that's the Joe Rose for which I'm thinking.

12. mb

mb Active Member

My favorite (and for that matter, only) Terry Kirby story ...

My best friend in HS played safety on the not-very-good HS football team. Kirby's HS was known throughout the area as pretty much the baddest mofos ever to walk the earth ... and had been for years. IIRC, it had something to do with military families and the ability to choose their high school.

Well, mustardfriend is playing deeep safety when Kirby busts through the line. Mustardfriend is the only guy between Kirby and a touchdown. Kirby lines him up and could have easily gone left and my bud would never have come anywhere near him. He could have gone right and he'd never have laid a finger on him.

Kirby's choice? He goes right fucking through him. Buddy says it was like getting hit by a truck. Kirby? He never even broke stride.

Buddy talked for years about getting run over by the best player in Southest Va. history.

Draft saved Draft deleted