1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel looks up hate-mail authors and posts personal facts in reply column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beer_Baron, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stupid

Stupid Member

I guess I have a different standard but I can think of, offhand, a dozen regular posters on several boards that I've frequented who are more entertaining than Doyel could ever hope to be when it comes to laying down the smack.

In fact, the last resort of someone who has been broken in two by such sassmasters is to dig up some snippet of personal info on them in hopes of getting under their skin.

Sure, he's gimmicky and likes to mix it up with readers but that's not his forte because, frankly, he sucks at it. What he does well is write about sports. That's he become more popular for the former merely says that the public likes to have someone, no matter their talent level at such, get down in the muck and trade insults.

2. busuncle

busuncle Member

I try to avoid snarkiness in print because I realize that I'm not especially clever or funny.

Unfortunately, some people are much more impressed with their own wit.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If e-mailers think their actual names will be used, they will end their relationship with that asshole.

Hardly worth a three-page thread, my ass.

He should be suspended for this.

No one has answered for me that he has used people's names before.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder how Doyel would feel if a Web site or blogger put out personal info about him?

5. It's rude and it's completely classless.
    Welcome to the new world, I guess.
    Buzz is all. Park your conscience at the door.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, this is different. This is a creepy, "I know where you live" response that isn't warranted. If you're going to do that, save it for someone who's really stepped over the line. This isn't for people who simply disagree with your column.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And down goes the gauntlet.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Well, I checked, and his home telephone number and address both turn up in a simple www.DAPlus.us search ...

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do it. You know you want to. :D

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

if we start getting into sketchy personal information on doyel, this will be a whole lot longer than three pages....

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you DO want to do that shit, do NOT do it here.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, to be fair, CBS Sportsline has a much bigger audience than this place. And it is, after all, public information. What's good for the goose?

Though put me with those that think what he did was extremely lame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.