1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel looks up hate-mail authors and posts personal facts in reply column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beer_Baron, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think it shows thin skin, and really doesn't accomplish anything. So Joe Lovestoemail sent hate mail and sells insurance. Why the hell do I care?

While I'm not against columns answering coherent e-mail, this column was written for about five people. And it was poorly, poorly executed.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He really gives off the air like he is Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, I've got the world by the short hairs while you morons work those stupid, schmuck jobs for a living.

3. I agree with you all that I never would have done this, and it really doesn't have a point to me.
    However, I expected it to be meaner from some of the comments I saw before I read it. I mean, he mostly points out people's jobs. Again, I wouldn't have done it, but I also wouldn't expect to see a lawsuit out of the deal.
    To me, there is just no point. It's like he either thought this was funny (which it isn't) or he thought he'd come off looking all-powerful (which he doesn't).
    I would bet we don't see him do this anymore.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Can anyone say they know of a NEWSPAPER which would have let this see the light of day?

With apologies to SF and our other Web-based brethren, this is the kind of crap they have to get past if they're going to be the future.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, maybe they don't. But I sure don't think I, as a reader, would be interacting with them if there's the possibility of this happening.

7. HoopsMcCann

he's been doing this for a couple of years now, and it doesn't seem to be slowing them down

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If he thinks he got hate mail before, this isn't going to help... unaccountable bastard

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. I guess you're OK with it. No problem.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

People here calling him a stalker miss the fact that this is a simple Google search. Big freaking deal. I think the whole "hate mail" thing is silly, but the reaction to this is right there with it. He's always insulted people, now he's added Google technology to the mix. Hardly worth a three-page thread. It was ill-conceived before. It's no more or less ill-conceived now. It's still just adding to the screaming landscape of American discourse from a guy who is actually pretty good. If SportsLine said, "Gregg, this schtick is played ... please do it straight," he'd do it. He's the rare writer who actually seems to have an audience that interacts and might actually care what he writes. I'm sure SportsLine hates that about him.

11. HoopsMcCann

pretty much.

i know and like gregg. i enjoy the hate mail. it's always a fun read. is it the paragon of journalism? no. is it entertaining? yep.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And the fact that he's being doing it for at least a couple of years kind of gives the lie to the notion that he's going to stop. The hate-mail column originated on the college basketball page, it ran all of last season, if not well before that.

I think he should stop because it's become one-note, its run its course, and the "gag" is no longer funny, if it ever was, the first few I read I thought they were jokes.

Aside from that, though, he's a good writer, he did a good job covering college basketball. I admit, though, I don't read him as much now that he's branched out to national columns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.