1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel looks up hate-mail authors and posts personal facts in reply column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beer_Baron, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

We've all done that.

THIS is way beyond that.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What a tool. I liked the column from the Arizona Wildcat calling him out...
    But columnists like that can be teflon... people read it; all that matters t the suits.

3. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I don't get this, nor do I get the whole hate-exuding approach to sportswriting. In the Star-Telegram, there's a column called "Little Balls of Hate." As a reader, I find it horribly off-putting. The further problem with such approaches is the writers tend to get boxed in as one-trick ponies.

Not knocking the writers as human beings or talents, just questioning the editorial approach. But then, what do I know? I'm just a third-rate second baseman.

4. Jeebus Christmas.
    What. A. Dick.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I think it has more to do with the internal culture of sportswriting.

I swear, I have met more gruff, impolite, negative and just-plain-mean-spirited people in this line of work than I ever could have imagined. The funny part of it is that away from the job, they're almost friends.

There's a culture of negativity in this business...it's almost as if it's "cool" to be hard-bitten and cynical. How many of you have found yourselves discussing what you're doing at any given time with more than a trace of weariness or edginess? I'll be the first to raise his hand.

Sometimes that's warranted. But likely not on a daily basis. And I think it flows into not only our direct interaction with the readers, but the way we present ourselves to the public.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But I've always been a mean-spnited bastard....

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

wow. that's the first thing I've ever read by that guy. don't think I'll be stopping back by.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, Doyel's been doing Hate Mail for a while now, going back to when he was college basketball only.

This one was much more acerbic than most of them. At first I thought it was a gag ... and laughed. Now it's clear it's not ... and it's getting old.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

hasn't he been doing this for ... two years? At least?

Just wondering why this is news now.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He's been getting people's real names and exposing them "for years"?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Excellent points. Unfortunately, this particular assclown puts all of that hate out there for the world to see. Personally, I'm guessing he has some self-esteem issues, too. One thing about the InterWeb, for all of the great writers (no Doyel isn't one of them) there seems to be very little good editing -- sort of like all of these media companies hired some good writers to show they're serious but forgot to back them up with good editing staffs.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . as the WWL has amply illustrated . . . forever . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.