1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel eviscerates Tedford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's the football version of flopping. Vlade would be proud.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And yet, when players deliberately fall down for minimal contact in basketball and (especially) soccer, that's an affront to sportsmanship.

This is bush league crap by Cal, and any other team that practices it. Play football.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I agree.

But it's impossible to police.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

What are the refs going to flag? There's no way in hell they're getting involved in that. Too much liability.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely. The one time they'd claim someone was faking, there would be an actual injury.

I don't agree with what Tedford is doing, it's one of the reasons why so many Americans don't like soccer, but it's really not something you can do anything about.

If I was the Pac-10 Commissioner, I would call Tedford and say, "I don't know if you did this or not and I'm not making any accusations, but if you did do it, don't do it again."

That's really all you can do.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A more interesting column would be the one that argues stringently for changes in the way college teams operate their no-huddle offenses. If you want to talk about an unfair advantage.

College coaches will tell you that it's not the superfast plays that are the problem. Hell, defenses are in better shape than offenses are, on the whole. If you an offense was forced to actually run the play after it got set, defenses would have no problem with it.

It's the play where the offense scurries up to the line as if it's going to run a play, gets entirely set, the quarterback in the shotgun gesticulates like he got shot by a bazooka to get the snap...but it's all a...fake...designed to buy the offense time to change the play and get the offensive linemen rest. So the entire offense looks over to the sidelines to see the new play - thus breaking their "set" look - then they fake another snap, the QB touches the ass of every lineman he has to create an audible off the second play...then they run the play.

It's incredibly hard to defend both kinds of plays. One calls for sheer instincts. The other calls for a sheer denial of instinct - sometimes on the very next play - because officials don't appropriately manage false start penalties.

Meanwhile - the defensive line can't jump offsides to create a false start, but they also have to be ready for the actual play, whenever it happens. Just not *too* ready.

If college football officials began calling QBs and offensive linemen for false starts - or some clever coach made it a point, for an entire drive, to have his team jump offsides every time a quarterback did it, then point at the quarterback as if he drew them offsides, you'd see the no-huddle disappear real quick.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

So Tedford went to Coach K's summer camp, too?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's the sign of a great team and a great coach.

You're players are so talented, your offense is so good, and your players are so conditioned that the other team has to cheat just to try to beat you. Of course, they still can't do it. I'm not an Oregon fan by any means, nor do I know anything about Chip Kelly, but I think his offense is innovative as hell and fun to watch.

If Tedford was as good of a coach he wouldn't have to cheat.

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I actually have a far bigger issue with this than I do the Cam Newton situation, but I also think the NCAA is no more than a fancy KKK, so I might be biased here.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Colorado and Alabama just flinched.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alma -- that's a good point, but Oregon is actually the one school that runs a no-huddle as a hurry-up offense. TV had a clock on it last week, and the time between one play ending and the next snap (including all the time to get players from both teams into place) is 15-17 seconds per snap. That's why Cal was falling all over the field.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There were two plays, of Oregon's 70-plus snaps, where this happened. It's much ado about very little. The other three times the clock stopped for injuries were legit, including one time where an Oregon receiver KOed a Cal defender with a blatant blind-side pick (which wasn't called, Pac-10 refs being Pac-10 refs).

Cal's defense completely stuffed Oregon but it's offense could not take advantage because its backup QB is absolutely pitiful.

Now there needs to be an automatic 10-second runoff time within the final two minutes or so when games are stopped by injuries, so offenses, for example, can't use this ploy to stop the clock, regroup and get a play off without time being run off.

Draft saved Draft deleted