1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Were the new Sherlock episodes good, Wenders? I'm a huge fan of the show and own the first season on DVD. Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing the villain in the new Star Trek movie.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I think that's part of the reason I'm getting such a kick out of Sherlock, too. Not only is it insanely good, but has there ever been a more rediculously named actor than Benedict Cumberbatch?

As for Downton, if you get a chance, find the first season on DVD. In the fairly scant extras, there's a funny interviewwith Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton (Isobel Crawley) who are, apparently, old and very good friends.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I think they took it to another level from the first series. I loved the way Moriarty was portrayed. He was just completely off his rocker, dare I even say it, Joker-esque. The first episode back confused me so much (the plot is very intricate and you get to see The Woman) but the other two were just as good, if not as intricate.

I'm trying not to give too much away but I was a big fan.

And if Benedict and Martin don't take home some serious hardware for this season, something went wrong. Especially Martin, who was absolutely FANTASTIC in last night's episode. Just tore my heart out and kicked it across the room.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Thanks for the info, Wenders. The way they introduced Moriarty (and Mycroft) last season was awesome too. I've been a fan of Martin Freeman for a while. I had never seen Cumberbatch in anything before Sherlock. He is in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which I really want to see) and the new Star Trek movie (which I couldn't care less about) as the villain.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm five minutes into the first episode of Downton Abbey. Does it get better? :D

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just finished the final episode of series two. You should absolutely watch this season, Greenhorn. It's even better than the first and they do a great job really expanding on Sherlock and Watson's characters and their friendship. This is by far my favorite adaptation of Sherlock Holmes out there.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Very glad to hear it, dreunc.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, hells yeah. I'll second that "favorite adaptation" comment from dreunc. I really enjoyed the Robert Downey flick and was eager to see its sequel, then the Cumberbatch's version came along with its text messages and nicotine patches. No longer am even remotely interested in the Hollywood flicks.

And, Wenders... Moriarty gets even more intense? Yes, please. That ending of series one was played brilliantly where you knew he was clearly brilliant, but couldn't figure out just what level of insanity was there as well.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Much, once the zombies show up.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wenders comparison to the Joker in The Dark Knight is a good one. As Alfred says, "some men just want to watch the world burn". That's Moriarty, especially in the final ep of series two.

11. imjustagirl

I'm so in for that.

12. imjustagirl

Serious question, realizing I'm only 1.5 eps into DA. But are there any DA-Gone With the Wind crossover fans here? The parallels are freakish and I'm not exactly enjoying them.

Draft saved Draft deleted