1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Any other boardmembers watching, or am I alone? Goddam, I'm a sucker for most BBC offerings... but I'm head over heels for this show. Characters to love (and hate with equal vehemence), and acid humor from Maggie Smith. Can't wait for the next ep already, although the last just finished five minutes ago.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's a fantastic show. I've watched all of the second season already (I watched them as they aired in England) and love it. As I'm not even sure where you are in it, I won't give anything away. I agree, though, that the characters are well-developed and most of them have things you both love and can't stand about them, except for Sybil. I never really found anything to dislike about her.

Also, make sure to catch the Christmas Special, which is technically post-season two, as quite a bit happens in it.

3. Killick

Just finished series 2, episode 2, and see Crawley goes missing in previews for next week. I'm tempted... soooo tempted... to watch all of series two online, but I'd tear through them in one weekend. I wanted to savor them, instead. Even now, I'm fighting like hell not to go online and watch the next ep.

I just hope, at one point, Thomas gets run over by several cars and O'Brien gets brained with a tire iron.

And I still can't believe it was all written by Lord Kilwillie from "Monarch of the Glen."

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

O'Brien at least has a half-decent moment every once in a long while. Or maybe that's just toward the end of the second series. Thomas is completely repugnant throughout.

5. Killick

O'Brien still needs retribution for the soap bar "accident" in season one. She felt some remorse, and I felt bad for her, but justthatquick she went back to being a bitch.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've DVR'd last week's ep and this week's but I haven't been mentally prepared for it (Sherlock series 2 is currently taking up most of my creys) but I love this show. Of course, I would watch Dame Maggie Smith read the telephone book. For such a large cast, I find most of them to be terrific actors who each get their spotlight, which is hard to do when you have an ensemble cast like this.

7. Killick

Sherlock 2? Is that airing, or online? Dying to see that, too. Loooooved series one!

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The last episode of series two aired tonight. I have not watched it yet, but will tomorrow. The first two episodes were really good.

9. Killick

Just another three-episode deal? (I hope not, but I'm greedy like that...)

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Unfortunately, yes. I can understand why, though, since they're 90 minutes apiece.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

In order to see it right now, you either need to live in the UK or have no conscience about piracy. Otherwise, it'll air on PBS in May.

I have no conscious and an IP workaround so I can watch the BBC iPlayer in real time.

Thankfully, almost immediately after the episode ended, the producers confirmed series 3, but I would be shocked if it aired before next year.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My wife tore through the entire second season online. As for me, I will DVR and watch during the week.

Also caught a Q and A session with some of the cast members during an appearance in New York. Hugh Bonneville looks like a bum with a big scraggly beard, O'Brien looks much younger than Inanticipated and Anna is a knockout.

Draft saved Draft deleted