1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downsizing, kind of, car-wise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

Actually, even though I highly recommend the book, I don't necessarily agree with that statement either.

It underestimates how thoroughly the automobile industry has brainwashed the American public.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I will never buy a new car again.

Buy a year-old model with low mileage that is still under warranty. You'll save a fortune or be able to drive a car that you otherwise would never be able to afford...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends where you live. New York, Chicago -- OK.

Helena, Montana? Better have a horse.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. The writer lives in L.A. And I think he's childless.

He says he relies, in part, on friends for rides. OK, how many times do you really think you could say to a friend "I choose to live without a car, but can I bum a ride?" Unless you're constantly paying for his gas, I'd put the over/under at 5 times before the friend just disappears.

5. JackS

JackS Member

According to his book, he doesn't "bum" rides. He treats friends to lunch or pays them in some other way, when he even uses that method of transportation. Supposedly, his friends ask him if he wants to come places with them knowing they'll get something in the bargain.

If you don't want to read the book, fine. But don't judge it (or him) without reading it. He does in fact admit that parents with kids will have a harder time going "car free." To them, he suggests cutting back from two cars to one and other things he describes as "car lite."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Pay cash, my man. Pay cash.

That's the kind of downsizing I like.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

An Aveo? Really?

my company always reserves intermediate cars. I showed up in Detroit one time to pick up my car, and the pricks at Avis gave me an Aveo. NOT an intermediate.

For those that don't know, the Aveo is what used to be the Geo Metro. My knees were around my ears all weekend.

[​IMG]

Honestly, you couldn't pay ME to drive that car. You're a better (or more desperate) person than I am, wicked.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I wouldn't say wide open...

(God, usually I see those openings before I type them. That one got right past me. Dammit)

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I see your point, IJAG (on the car, not the pitch you floated across the plate). I wouldn't want an Aveo, either.

But small doesn't always mean cheap. And the seat in mine accomodates my fat a_s just fine. No excessive knee-bending necessary.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What? Where did I say small means cheap? And where did I say anything about your car?

I was talking about an Aveo. Only an Aveo. Never driven your car.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let me try to save this ... is the Aveo originally made by Suzuki?

The occasional old Geo Metros I worked with in automotive rental were horrendously flimsy. Suzuki could make a decent motorcycle, but seemed to be drastically behind the curve in car quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted