1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down-sized columnist on the state of newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 3, 2008.

1. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Interesting that it actually ran. Also interesting are the reader comments at the bottom, particularly considering the bashing that type of forum gets on this site.

2. Terrific column.
    Also the dictionary definition of "pissing in the wind."

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sad to say, I might spike such a column if I were the publisher. Besides being boiler plate, it's too self-serving.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Forever-town says, "Sad to say, I might spike such a column if I were the publisher. Besides being boiler plate, it's too self-serving."

Self-serving???!!! The guy lost his freakin' job for pete's sake---how did he get "served" by writing this? He just became unemployed.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"Look at me! I lost my job so now I have an ax to grind!"

That's why it's self-serving.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I guess the way it's written may be unclear to those of us who don't live there. When I read the column I assumed he'd been at San Angelo for 42 years. Actually, after spending much of his career elsewhere, he was editor for three years and "editor emeritus" for the past five, so I don't know if that was a full-time position.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5425246.html

Still sad, but not as bad as I first thought.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I didn't get that. Read right through that. I figured he spent much of his career in San Angelo.
    Yet, I don't understand these threads.

If the thread were titled: "San Angelo paper fired veteran journalist, columnist."
    The reaction would have been: Those motherfuckers. Another goddamn victim in an unforgiving industry. Fuckin' Scripps.

Thread title: "Down-sized columnist on the state of newspapers."
    He gets off a fairly well-constructed column which includes explanatory notes not only regarding his demise but what he perceives the demise of the industry. It's called "self-serving" and "boilerplate."
    You know, perhaps he wasn't writing it for you. Perhaps he was writing it for his audience. His readers.

I found his summation more truth than ego:
    Now, take out "Concho Valley." Put in your town or city.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I can't imagine why his audience would give a shit.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sure, that's one way to look at it. The same one that calls it "self-serving" and "boilerplate."
    It's an abrogating, jaundiced view and mindset. One that has captured this self-loathing industry.
    Corporate complains. Advertising complains. Publisher complains. Sports editor complains. Reporter complains. Agate clerk complains. Phone clerk complains.
    I'm a realist, just not a defeatist.

10. "Let's be truthful: We're doing less with less."

Great line.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he's been writing a regular column for eight years, the readers would notice if he was suddenly gone.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

\
    Sure. He could say he's leaving. But his audience still doesn't give a shit about the state of the newspaper industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted