1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down goes Rove! Down goes Rove!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, wouldn't want you grumpy. Also made me grin when OT said Republicans don't play politics with judges.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

There is no such thing as a moderate in the highest levels of politics, especially the Supreme Court. Some can hide their true beliefs better than others, and some have more moderate views than others, initially, but the way the Supreme Court (and politics in general) works these days doesn't allow room for not taking sides.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Your point taken, FB. I'll stick with mine as well; that the last two years of a two-term presidency are when a President is most vulnerable to political/legal attacks. I wasn't arguing validity of charges, because I know where the partisans will line up on a given issue/President.

With all due respect, and you've earned plenty, you've yet to surprise me with a political stance here. Perhaps you consider me a mugwump, and that's OK. I choose to take each case on its own merits, and to be cautious about coming to conclusions on matters political.

You and I have some things in common. My mother was a staunch 'flouride is a communist plot'-er; my father sort of chuckled and went his merry way. I don't attempt to move mountains, and I won't attempt to change your mind. Often wouldn't disagree with you; often would. I just don't have the Dylan Thomas instinct for rage that you possess. So be it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just a brief note to interject the Dylan Thomas' rage was, in general, 10-12 double whiskeys.

Otherwise, he wrote some borderline cuddly shit.

*Exit Zeke, stage left.*

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Ha ha ha, what PLANET are you on.

Three words for you Ruth...Bader....Ginsburg. Ha ha, there is a TRUE moderate. Do you have ANY clue of her background?

Here is a hint: she was a litigator for the ACLU and is considered one of the courts most liberal judges.

Come on man, it is fine to disagree politically but tell the truth ok. Everyone who votes Republican is not a right wing "arch conservative" and anyone who you like is not a "moderate" (ex. Ginsburg is no moderate, Michael Moore is no moderate), sorry.

JDV

6. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

That is pretty much right. Comments:

1.) Yoo is a genius and was my professor for Con Law and adviser for the Federalist Society of which I was VP. The guy brings major A game

2.) Bill Clinton and the court decisions about him expanded executive authority quite significantly. Arguably significantly more then Bush/Cheney.

3.) Everyone changes staff in Washington, particularly over 2 terms. It is draining & there is MUCH more money outside afterwards. Besides, what is left for Rove to do for Bush? The surge seems to be working, Bush's numbers are going up and Bush will soon be gone. Take Rove away as a target and allow him to be with his family, I say everyone on Bush's side wins and it was Rove's call anyway, not some dumb "master plot."

4.) Rove has a life and doesn't have to stay and play with the haters or be a target for liberal fundraising or fearmongering. Let it go.

JDV

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus fucking christ, did a low pressure cloud of stu-fucking-pidity just roll through? can i take a shower in bleach and get the "ick" off?

and i also have this feeling as though some unemployed know-it-all dick is babbling on, rambling on and on and on and on, on a speaker phone at this second.

i feel dirty and slightly more stupid, simply because i read what i just read.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Self-knowledge is a wonderful thing . . . for those of us who actually posess it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching CNN tonight and Anderson Cooper came up with some "raw data" on Rove. His parents divorced, found out the man he thought was his dad wasn't, his stepfather later came out of the closet and his mom committed suicide. Don't know what it all means, but damn that had to have some affect on him.

10. And RBG was suggested by...wait for it..Orrin Hatch, noted lefty.

11. \

Early leader for Dumbest Post Of The Day.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rove's job is to be an election winner more than anything else. I'm guessing that if the GOP maintained its majority in both houses, he would have quit by mid-November 2006. I'm guessing that he'll sit back and probabky come in as a well publicized savior in the general election.

I'm not certain that there is anything to the timing of his departure, but the heat on Fredo G. has cooled in the past couple of days and this is the right time to get out. The RNC and Rove have their hands all over this "voter supression"/US Attorney nonsense, and even if there were no laws broken, it is going to be pretty embarassing if he has to testify. Which of course he won't.

JDV, as the VP of the Federalist Society as receiptient of John Yoo's "A game" at Boalt Hall, I'd love for you to expand on your statement that "Bill Clinton and the court decisions about him expanded executive authority quite significantly. Arguably significantly more then Bush/Cheney." And Ruth Bader Ginsburg is probably one of the most accomplished litigators ever on issues of women's rights. The decisions on some of the cases that she worked on are considered to be the mainstream and she is far from a liberal or a judicial activist in her decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted