1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down Goes Arizona's Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/politics/scotus-arizona-law/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Based solely on reading the excerpts, I am heartened that the majority at least recognized the basic principle of federal preemption with respect to something as basic as regulating immigration (preemption meaning if there is a federal standard/law, states cannot impose a different standard and are therefore "preempted" from enacting a contrary law). Its sad but I used to rely upon the SCOTUS (and federal courts of appeals) making such basic decisions, but now with the politicization of the law, I hold my breath.

I give credit to Kennedy for being a pragmatic centrist and to Roberts for not going political.

As for dissenters Scalia, Thomas and Alito? Go back and study Con Law 101 again, please.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow I did not know that this ruling came down today.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for starting this thread so the board can finally discuss this.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Board members must have been busy today. This seems like it would be a hot board topic.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I myself go to phonesexhoneys for such.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Scalia's dissent is ridiculous. More lie to the "strict constructionist" BS.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't know why the United States uses such and archaic and outdated system for determining ultimate judicial decisions.

The Supreme Court needs to come out from behind its walls of secrecy and install live television cameras in its chambers.

Then, each justice should sing or dance his or her way through a series of challenges.

The American citizenry could call into a switchboard and vote a justice off the panel each week.

The one judge remaining would then decide all of the cases heard by the court during that session.

Of course I'm hoping that Antonin Scalia has at least three left feet and can't carry a tune in a bucket.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A smokescreen. A preemptive bone thrown to the left so they can maintain "we don't automatically take our marching orders from the right."

Even though they do.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

SCOTUS pretty much split the baby, which I think it will do also with health care. Both sides can claim something.

It's not settled yet whether the one provision it let stand (allowing police to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws) will stand under further litigation. There are pre-emptive lawsuits filed already that allege this will lead to racial profiling. Other suits will undoubtedly be filed once this law goes into effect and begins to be enforced.

So we haven't heard the last of SB 1070 by a long shot.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I prefer three-year-old breaking obits myself.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

pigtailsandpenises.net

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

In his dissent, Scalia cites fugitive slave laws.

Would that I were making that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.