1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doug Wojcik needs sensitivity training

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140703/PC20/140709763/1177

"The College of Charleston's investigation of embattled head basketball coach Doug Wojcik exposed dozens of examples of him lashing out at players with obscenities, personal attacks and physical threats."

Looks like he's gone very shortly. I don't see how he survives this. It looks like the transition from Bobby Cremins to Wojcik was too big a culture shift, and that Wojcik didn't establish that his old school hardass abuse was done in their best interest.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That screaming stuff ain't going to fly wi today's athlete. Nor should it.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I remember Wojcik as the "scrappy" point guard on that Navy team that made the Final 8 run with David Robinson. Appears all that scrappiness ain't serving him so well these days.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Chilling and appalling reading. Among other things, he demeans the institution for which he works; demeans nearly all of his players and their parents; and apparently reveals a player's grade or grades to the entire team, which would be a violation of federal law if proven.
    But if that's not enough to get him whacked, consider the practical: How on Earth does somebody ever recruit again with this document out there?

5. Neutral Corner

And in the wake of Rutgers, what AD in his right mind does not flush him and hit reset?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's my guess. Please tell me if I"m wrong. The report is completed and dated June 26. The new president comes aboard on July 1. So July 1 comes and goes and the new president hasn't whacked Wojcik. Somebody leaks the report to turn up the burners and accelerate the incomprehensibly delayed execution.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What would Bobby Knight do?

8. Neutral Corner

I suspect that would hinge on whether you called him "Knight" or not. ;D

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He'd choke himself.

10. Neutral Corner

Wojcik says he won't resign.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11179331/doug-wojcik-not-planning-resign-college-charleston-investigation

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Why would he? He's going to make CofC fire him with a hefty settlement.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crank up the living-room charm to 11 and soldier on.

Draft saved Draft deleted