1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doug Krikorian out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/10/doug_krikorian_set_adrift.php

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Long before this, the condition of the Long Beach paper -- despite some excellent people going through there -- has long been a mystery to me. I guess it's just because the city is kind of in an odd spot in the shadow of L.A. or whatever.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was a really good paper at one point, surprisingly good even, before they consolidated with the Daily News... I know that was a long, long time ago...

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Long Beach definitely was once a great paper. The only surprise about Doug E. gone is that it didn't happen years earlier.

LANG is a nuclear wasteland these days and the talk is there's going to be lots more consolidation.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Yeah whatever you thought of Doug's columns, the guy was an icon in Long Beach. It does surprise me how that paper has lasted this long.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

It was a feisty product that covered a feisty city. Its prep coverage was thorough, and the Best of the West lists set agendas. The office was a dump, though.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I had to take a Knight-Ridder test there once, and yes, I can attest to that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember someone telling me that at one point (I have no idea if this is still the case) that the Press-Telegram is the only paper to travel with a volleyball team for every single game.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I seem to recall Gordie Verrell being on the road a lot with the Long Beach State volleyball team after -- in another horrible PT decision -- Verrell was pulled off the Dodgers beat.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Women's volleyball? On the road? Same hotel?

Not a bad beat assignment.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you can make it through the holidays....

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So to speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted