1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double duty (Covering event for one paper and stringing same event for another)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I came across a situation where I was trying to land a freelance gig, but had to pass because they didn't want me covering the game of another non-competing paper. No regrets, since I led the editor to a friend who got the gig.

How prevalent is double-dipping? I mean either covering a game for your paper and stringing for the out-of-town paper, or stringing for two non-competing papers for the same game.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I've done it dozens of times. As long as it's not a competing paper and as long as you take care of your paper's business first, there shouldn't be any problems.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've always made sure if I was stringing the same game I cover to clear it with management. Unless it's a competitor, they almost always have no problem with it.

My lowest fee is if I'm already covering same game. It goes up based on if it's in town and how far I have to travel.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I did it frequently in the past for prep football playoffs, and for state championships held in my area.

A lot of the time it was my editor passing the gig on because I was going to be covering the game for 'us'. The network would work around the state for such events. We'd get paid for our stuff, it was a you have your guy cover it for us, we'll have our guy write a second story for you.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A buddy of mine once covered the state cross country meet for six or seven papers. Not sure any of the stories were particularly readable, but I admired his payday.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would pull a similar feat for the three-day event of the state tennis tournament. not as many papers, but close, and still nice thanks to the length of the event.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to double-dip a lot during the high school postseasons when I was on the prep beat the last couple years. I never really ran into that problem. In fact, I usually say, "You know, I'll be writing the game on deadline anyway, so it'll be easy for me to get it done in time for yours." But I've always written the same story and sent it twice and assured them of that.

I've never been turned down for it, although I can understand why the paper didn't want to risk having one person possibly writing two different stories on a similar deadline -- if that was the case.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I understood because the editor said he had been burned in the past with people not knowing how to recast a story for his paper.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's understandable, but that still sucks.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Re: Double duty (Covering event for one paper and stringing same event for anoth

Yeah, what do you want?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. accguy

accguy Member

I've only done it on afternoon college hoops games. Probably done it a half dozen times. A couple times my boss actually set it up for me.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Double duty (Covering event for one paper and stringing same event for anoth

I've done it for prep tournaments and stuff in the afternoon.

Nice way to make a little extra coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted