1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double coverage: Fiesta, NFL playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Jan 3, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine the AJC has much interest in Texas-Ohio State. Just a feeling.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's a very good point and another reason the newspaper business is dying (as pointed out on other threads).

Having lived on the west coast for the past six years, it isn't as bad, but, yeah, the east coast gets hammered on most of these premium events (World Series, NBA/NHL Finals, NCAA Final Four, Bowl Games) that start so darn late for TV purposes.

I remember former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said he would always preserve the print deadlines for the Super Bowl coverage, by not allowing the kickoff to be moved later into prime time. That's the only event that has been spared.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, and he did a hell of a job minimizing the TV timeouts and making sure the halftime show didn't last an hour. Oh wait.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unless I am missing something -- how "cheaply" could you really double dip considering the Texas game isn't until Monday -- which means you have at least two extra nights in a hotel, two more days of a rental car and two more days of per diem.

At best that is like an extra $500 or something.

Actually -- scratch that, I just reread the original post and get it now -- the guy is already in town today and thus could easily cover the game --except -- wasn't there some availability today? How could you do both?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since you wouldn't know until the Sunday before when there was going to be a playoff game at Arizona or who the Cardinals would play, it would be logistically difficult to pull it off given that the NFL wants your playoff requests in early.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Um, well, pretty cheaply. Assuming reporters covering the Fiesta Bowl were on site for Friday's media day and will stay through to cover the game, then covering the playoff game Saturday wouldn't add any extra cost.

My opinion: If you want to be a big time sports section, you cover what you can when you can. If you think bylines and datelines don't matter, then just run AP for everything. And, considering how we bash AP's coverage of stuff, wouldn't you want your own staffer to cover an NFL playoff game for your Sunday section, a game that started in the afternoon so it doesn't create deadline issues. Sorry, but the folks on here who said "run AP" are thinking small.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I always try to extend our reach when practical.

Mavs were in town as we were prepping for the Cotton Bowl ... voila, an Erick Dampier story from our sidebar guy.

In the hypothetical example, sure it might be worth it if you had an angle.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

During those couple of years when the Pacers made the Eastern Conference Finals under Larry Brown, they played at home on Memorial Day.

Both years, our local metro had its guy already in Indy for the 500 staff the Pacers game (one year against the Knicks, the next against the Magic, I believe) the next day. I admired the heck out of that.

Now, our metro doesn't even staff the 500.

Draft saved Draft deleted