1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double coverage: Fiesta, NFL playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If you were a sports editor and had a writer(s) covering the Fiesta Bowl, would you have assigned one to cover Saturday's Atlanta-Arizona NFL game? Regardless of the interest in NFL in your paper, would you take the "cheap" chance to staff an NFL game for the Sunday paper?

Just curious. Have at it.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Players with local connections playing in the game? Staff it, but just for the feature -- not to do a gamer.

No locals and staff it just to staff it? I'll leave that to the world's largest newsgathering organization.

3. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

You pay a subscription price for AP, if I have no local angle, then it becomes double work.
    If some of the kids from the Fiesta Bowl are attending the game, namely Beanie Wells, I might do a story about him experiencing the NFL atmosphere.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If I'm spending money to have a reporter at one, might as well do both.

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Yea, but you're also already paying for AP.

6. mb

mb Active Member

And if I'm spending my money to send a reporter to one, I want him concentrating on the team I sent him to cover. Unless there's a hell of a local story to be found at the other game.

7. I'd rely on BLOGS! myself.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Here's the thing: Fiesta Bowl had its media day. If I'm covering that game, I can get enough material to do multiple stories on different days. I don't need to hang out at the team hotel all day.

So, if I'm even in TOWN as a reporter, I find a way to go to both games.

9. I certainly think just about any paper in the country that's staffing the Fiesta Bowl could find a strong angle at the Cards-Falcons game that the AP wouldn't go near.

I'd staff it.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Does the reverse work?

If you are covering Falcons-Cardinals, do you have a reporter hang around an extra couple of days to cover the Fiesta Bowl?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd let him freelance it for a different publication.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you're the AJC, for example, and you staffed Falcons-Cardinals, does having a reporter at the Fiesta Bowl do you any good, with as late as the game's going to finish?

And aside from the AJC, is anyone else going to be staffing the Falcons?

Draft saved Draft deleted