1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do's and Don't's of the first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kritter47, Aug 1, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I can distill this thread down to one sentence: Don't make unnecessary trouble for yourself, your bosses or your co-workers. It's generally a good way to get through life as well.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

after being pulled away from big brother for viewage, even mrs. petty laughed like hell at that post.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Is this from experience?

And if I can add one thing, if the desk says the story is 15 inches, make it 15 inches, not 17 or even worse 20. They will love you forever.

4. John Parker

John Parker New Member

Eh, we all have our faults...

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's from experience. Such is life. I was a crackhead and take complete responsibility.

I wouldn't trade 6 months with her for the world. Part of what made me what I am today.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

A lot of really good stuff here. Here's a few:

1. All computers have spell check. Use it.
    2. If you have time, let your story sit for a couple minutes before you file, then give it one last readover--you'll find stuff that way. (obviously, if you're pushing deadline, don't do that. But still run spell check).
    3. Unless it's totally, completely utterly unavoidable, don't do this: "Joe Schmoe scored XX (NOTE TO DESK--LOOK THIS UP) points last season."

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Didn't think I'd have much to add to this thread, but...if you don't drink, you won't survive in this business. And, as one of our posters moniker suggests, write then drink. You wouldn't think those two Hurricanes would affect your writing too much, but reading your story in print the next day isn't much fun.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And this is a sensitive point, and not everyone will see it the way I do, but in a few months -- after you start to get comfortable with what you are doing -- update your resume. Not that you plan to use it, just have it updated and ready in case something comes along that you're interested in chasing after. So much easier when you have a resume and clips in hand ready to send than having to fuddle around and waste time pulling a package together.

Back in the day, i could turn around a job letter in 24 hours or less. I got a lot of rejections -- but I got a few jobs I liked, too.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Keep it that way. It will make your career and life much easier.

Seriously, anyone who tells you drinking is a prerequisite for this business is full of it. Ya, most of us drink, and many to excess. But that doesn't make a single one of us any better at our jobs.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

You may not need to drink alcohol but a serious addiction to caffeine will come in handy.

11. Great advice on this thread...

Of course, I've broken nearly every rule on here, but that's beside the point. We've got a young staff and like to have a good time.

One thing I would recommend to a newbie (besides getting me a damn beer) is that you become a human sponge. Absorb everything around you. Make it a point to sit down with your editor about your beat/copy and learn from your mistakes. Same with the established writers at your paper -- this has helped me a ton.

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Also, don't drink and SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted