1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorothy Bland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 4, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He was a gentle giant, you know.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Coulda been worse.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

After reading the police response, I'd like to know why she never contacted police. Don't you want to complain to someone? If she doesn't trust the whole police force, fine, call a council member or the mayor. Or a state legislator.

Or why she never returned the PD's call.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

She had a #hottake and had to run with it ASAP. The new "journalism."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"Police Abuse Hotline. How may I help you?"

"My name is Dorothy Bland, and I would like to report an egregious example of racial profiling. I was detained for allegedly walking in the streets of my neighborhood impeding traffic."

"I see. And what were you doing at the time?"

"I was JOGGING in the streets of my neighborhood impeding traffic. A white women's would have received credit for jogging in the citation. See?"

"Did you get the names of the officers?"

"I couldn't. You can't write that down when your hands are flying everywhere."

"My goodness. Were you fending off a physical attack?"

"No. I was doing cardio."

"Perhaps you were verbally abused?"

"Yes. One of the white officers said, and I quote, 'My dog doesn't like to go out in the rain, either.' Can you believe that?"

"I sure can. My dog hates going out in the rain. ... But, ah, you say you were detained. Many of our complaints say they were stripped searched. I can see if that happened in your own neighborhood, you'd ...."

"Even worse. I kept my clothes on but not one of the officers mentioned my Harvard hoodie. Can you believe it? Cost me $8,100 if you count that seminar thingie. I don't take that type of disrespect from students."

"Ma'am, I am going to hang up now. Maybe you should write a letter to the editor."

cyclingwriter2 and doctorquant like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted