1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorky spreadsheet question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 26, 2007.

1. OK, I'm working in Google spreadsheets (yes, it's a fantasy basketball thing).

I'm trying to run a simple formula on every number in a column to convert them.

Do I have to do each one separately? Or is there a way to run a formula on every cell in the column?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Instead of the abstract, give us an example.

3. OK.

I have a long column of assists per game for each of the top 150 players in the NBA.

I want to highlight every one of them and divide them all by 4 at one time - so that instead of a raw number, I have their number in comparison to the league average.

How do I do this without going through 150 separate cells and retyping the entire formula in either Excel or Google?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Definitely need an example.

And why the hell are you using Google Docs? Don't you have OpenOffice or MS Office or 1-2-3 or something similar?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

In a cell next to it, put this formula =(cell letter/number)/4

Then copy it, highlight down to the end of the list and paste it. That should work.

6. Not working. Nothing seems to.

7. OK, I figured it out.

Thanks!

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

you sure you're at the right website? perhaps you were looking for greeneyeshades.com

Draft saved Draft deleted