1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorky spreadsheet question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 26, 2007.

1. OK, I'm working in Google spreadsheets (yes, it's a fantasy basketball thing).

I'm trying to run a simple formula on every number in a column to convert them.

Do I have to do each one separately? Or is there a way to run a formula on every cell in the column?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Instead of the abstract, give us an example.

3. OK.

I have a long column of assists per game for each of the top 150 players in the NBA.

I want to highlight every one of them and divide them all by 4 at one time - so that instead of a raw number, I have their number in comparison to the league average.

How do I do this without going through 150 separate cells and retyping the entire formula in either Excel or Google?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Definitely need an example.

And why the hell are you using Google Docs? Don't you have OpenOffice or MS Office or 1-2-3 or something similar?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

In a cell next to it, put this formula =(cell letter/number)/4

Then copy it, highlight down to the end of the list and paste it. That should work.

6. Not working. Nothing seems to.

7. OK, I figured it out.

Thanks!

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

you sure you're at the right website? perhaps you were looking for greeneyeshades.com

Draft saved Draft deleted