1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorial Green-Beckham to Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 3, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Seems to be quite the apples-to-oranges comparison, I think. Don't think there was ever any issue with DGB getting his release and moving on to another school, as was the K-State case. But Mizzou supporting him getting a waiver to play this season, under the "unable to return to his institution through no fault of his own" loophole is another matter entirely.

If the rumors are true about DGB and the litany of problems (that didn't hit the public eye) he caused for Mizzou from the day he stepped on campus, his deciding to file a lawsuit and opening the door to airing all of that dirty laundry may be an unwise decision.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You do have a knack for bad comparisons. That involved an entirely different issue. As I recall, K-State was trying to prevent that girl from being able to transfer anywhere--and extremely unreasonably--she wasn't seeking a waiver of the customary sit out year.

That has no relevance to this. There's absolutely no basis for a lawsuit here.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What would be his argument for not sitting out the normal transfer year?

4. BurnsWhenIPee

The reports he's going to try to slide in with a so-called "run-off" waiver, which would need several things to be proven, and documentation given, including assertion that he is not able to return to Missouri for reasons beyond his control. And Missouri would have to provide a written statement supporting the request for a waiver.

I'd like to see him and his family assert with straight faces that his 2 drug arrests and beating the shit out of 2 co-eds were actions that were out of his control.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oklahoma is "confident" the run-off waiver will apply because it wasn't in his control to be kicked out of school, even though it was in his control to beat up the woman. Mizzou coaches persuading the woman not to go to the police appears to be a key development, as Oklahoma is pinning its case on the lack of charges.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-officials-feel-confident-about-dorial-green-beckhams-chances-for-immediate-eligibility/article/5121579?custom_click=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The NCAA: Rules are rules, but not always.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

And his scumbag father who, according to the police report, contacted the victim's mother and talked about paying to fix damages and make it all go away.

I'm not one to cheer for an injury, but if this kid shreds every ligament in both legs before he plays a game at OU, I won't shed a tear.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted