1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorial Green-Beckham to Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 3, 2014.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Stoops will have to convince him it will help his draft status to play one year there.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I agree, that's exactly what would have to happen for him to stay.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's gonna be a tough sell for Stoops. This past season the kid had nearly 900 yards receiving, a 15 yds per catch average, and caught 12 touchdown passes. That's more than enough to convince the scouts of what he can do on the field, they don't need to see any more.

Not much left to gain pro-stock wise with another year, but plenty to lose if he gets injured. Best way for this kid to improve his draft status now is simply to stop acting like a knucklehead and getting in trouble.

4. cjericho

He doesn't play this season, you think he's a 1st-round pick?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't know what round he is. But I think he's got more to lose than to gain by playing another college season. The scouts already know he has the physical tools, and they already know what he can do on the field. There's not much more he can display that he didn't already show in his extremely impressive performance this past season, but he can lose a shit ton if he blows out an ACL or disappoints in an extra year. So why risk it?

Appears to me the biggest potential hindrance to this kid's draft status right now would be the character/off field concerns. Those question marks aren't answered by catching a few more college TD passes.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Missouri just decriminalized it, so he should have stuck around there.

Read on Twitter that an OU source said, "If he farts in a meeting, he's gone."

7. cjericho

was thinking he can show his character by staying out of trouble, coming early to practice and being a good teammate. if he sits out and doesn't get arrested i guess it shows he may have made a few dumb mistakes and learned from them. but would think he shows a lot more going to another team and a different offense and having another real good season.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just read that Missouri has to sign off on getting him the waiver to play this season, before it even reaches the NCAA.

If you're Mizzou, do you support him getting the waiver?

Plus DGB's brother signed with Mizzou but isn't enrolling until January, with the common belief that he didn't qualify academically. Will be interesting to see if he ever plays for Pinkel.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that with the new rules in the CBA creating a draft pool and the difficulty of receiving guaranteed money this is not as important a factor.

Let's say Green-Beckham comes out in 2015 and is a late second round pikck. He gets paid for 2015 and is a free agent after the the 2018 season.

If he plays college ball in 2015 and stands out in the 2016 draft he rises to the first round. He will receive a lot more money but with the fifth year team option he will not become a free agent until 2020.

So by staying in school and hoping to make it into the first round he loses out on income from the 2014 season and also potentially loses money in 2018 and 2109. So is the chance to rise to the first round that big an incentive?

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He has nearly a full year between now and the 2015 draft to stay out of trouble and behave like a good citizen for onlooking eyes, he doesn't have to stay two years at OU to play another season to do that.

And I don't believe there are any issues about him being late to practice or not being a good teammate, at least not that have been publicized. Instead the question marks are about his taste for marijuana and off field behavior--so I'm not seeing how another on field college season answers them.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Justin Blackmon II?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If your Mizzou, you see what happened with female basketball player at Kansas State and you sign off on it right away, lest you really want to get slapped with a lawsuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted