1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorial Green-Beckham to Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't think we have a college football offseason thread going, so this can serve as the start of a de facto one.

Former Missouri wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham, the No. 1 overall prospect in 2012, is headed to Oklahoma:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209539780

Big transfer for the Sooners, though he won't be eligible until 2015. (There is talk he'll apply for a waiver to play this year, though I don't see that happening).

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Isn't he eligible for the 2015 draft? Makes me wonder if he'll ever actually take the field for the Sooners.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah he's going for the free training facilities.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bob Stoops welcomes another questionable character.

From ESPN.com:

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

On the subject of marijuana, which seems to be quite relevant in this case, I wonder how long until coaches at Colorado and Colorado State start using the state's legalization of recreational marijuana as a selling point in recruiting.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Just wait. Jerry Jones will draft him for the Cowboys.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm fully convinced that this kid's jagoff father adopted him only for the kid's potential on the football field and as a potential NFL superstar in the making. Sees another "Blind Side" in the making.

DGB is in the spotlight, going through growing pains, makes bad decisions, can't handle the spotlight, etc.

So what's the next move? Have him take a year off and get his shit together, train hardcore and enter the 2015 draft? Go to a lower-level school where he won't be under such a microscope, put up big numbers and enter the 2015 draft? Or go to another marquee FBS school, try for a hail mary waiver to play this year, then sit out this year after that gets denied, so he has plenty of time to see if the OU co-eds can take a punch better than the Mizzou ones did?

I have no doubt he ends up in the NFL, but I think the over-under on games he ends up playing at OU is one. And I'm betting hard on the under.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Even if he doesn't play this year, he'll get drafted. Tyrann Mathieu proved that.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes, but wouldn't Mathieu have been picked a bit higher if he played another college season. Interesting comparison. Mathieu showed he could play, but isn't the most physically gifted. Green-Beckham is a physical speciman, but can he stay focused enough to play and stay out of trouble.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

I wonder if OU asked for any kind of assurances he'd be around play for them.

Assuming he doesn't get the waiver to play this season, it would be awful easy for him to declare for the draft in January after basically using OU for a year of NFL prep work.

I know that happens all the time as it is, but typically the school gets something out of it on the field, too.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What kind of assurances could OU get? The kid's word? That's about all I can think of.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

Definitely that's all, and obviously not binding in any way. Just wondering if the question was asked.

Draft saved Draft deleted