1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doping in the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Played faster in pads than guys who would have outran him in shorts, though.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jose Canseco should write a book about this.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

4.71 for Rice isn't bad for a 40. Not overwhelming, but not bad.

4. kcsportscaster

kcsportscaster New Member

Where's the outrage over this steroid scandal? Oh, I forgot, the NFL gets a free pass while MLB gets crucified by the NFL loving media.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Go back and listen to George Carlin's riff on the difference between baseball and football and I think you'll find your answer. Football is so much more of an anything-goes sport than baseball, which at least aspires to a higher moral code. Hence the outrage among baseball fans over a steroid scandal that NFL fans simply shrug their shoulders over.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

No, but it's a masking agent.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that is part of it. I have also heard it suggested that there is more reverence for statistical milestones and records in baseball than in football and that is another reason for the different reactions. There are a lot of people who were very upset that Barry Bonds broke the career home run record because they believe he cheated to get it.

8. joe

joe Active Member

A diuretic makes your body shed water. It doesn't mask steroid use, but it can help flush the traces from your system. Body builders use it -- in moderation -- before a competition to help achieve their cut look.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about The Rooney Rule

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Works just as well in this context, as it does in horse racing.

Mammals is mammals.

11. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I'll tell you why there's no outrage: Because outside of more guys getting their heads taken off, a la Anquan Boldin, bigger, faster and stronger players do not change the way football is played. Not one iota. In baseball, it changed it completely.

Either that or the NFL is made of all democrats.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted