1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doonesbury's Rick Redfern: next to the layoff line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The uh-oh moment.

So is Gary Trudeau incorporating the industry's problems into the strip? Maybe so.

Or will Rick have to work for People magazine again? :D

Seriously, Trudeau's done a great job with veteran's issues. I'm curious to see where he goes with this ... and to see if newspaper managers squirm and how much.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Now that For Better or For Worse is done running new material, Doonesbury is my only reason to turn to the comics page.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it's "freshened" old material. And what about Dilbert?

I saw the Doonesbury thing today and thought it could be an interesting week or two.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wha??

Mary Worth is ripped from the headlines!

[​IMG]

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As somebody going through the oh-oh moment right now, that hit too close to home.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Waitaminut ... wasn't Rick Redfern working for a dot.com? Or did that go bust and he went back to the Post? Obviously it's been a while since I've read Doonesbury regularly (bring back Gonzo Uncle Duke and Mr. Butts, stat!)

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Roland Hedley went to a dot.com. I could be wrong, but I don't think Redfern ever did.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ahhhhhhhh ... I do believe that's the rub. I could have sworn Redfern did some dot.com stuff too, but I may be thinking of strips where he and Hedley were covering something.

They should have had Redfern do podcasts and Tweet for a few weeks before giving him the ol' heave ho.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But he better not ask Ryan O'Neal about Barry Lyndon!

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"We'd like to offer you our best buyout package ... it's quite an honor!"

One quibble: I doubt anybody's been offered a best buyout package, at least in those terms.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted