1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doonesbury today 5/27

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

With you, guy. He coasted in terms of sustained creativity for two decades, but 9/11 was the wake-up call.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I inherited my dad's collection of the old books, however, so I can read them any time I want.

And Fenian posted the Rick Redfern - Halberstam series when the latter passed not too long ago.

Great, great stuff.

3. I miss Phred The Vietcong who sang Cole Porter.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ain't nobody in these parts who hasn't heard of Phred the Terrorist.

I can raze a hamlet in 10 seconds flat.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think he was the same since he came out of retirement in the mid-1980s. Seemed to be angry all the time and not near as clever or as good of a storyteller as he had been. But yes, he did set a helluva high standard to try to recapture.

6. Meanwhile, all those names died so the fucking vampire VEEP can say this at West Point yesterday:

"As Army officers on duty in the war on terror, you will now face enemies who oppose and despise everything you know to be right, every notion of upright conduct and character, and every belief you consider worth fighting for and living for. Capture one of these killers, and he'll be quick to demand the protections of the Geneva Convention and the Constitution of the United States. Yet when they wage attacks or take captives, their delicate sensibilities seem to fall away."

The Vice-president of the United States thinks the Bill of Rights makes this country weak, composedas they are by delicate sensibilities. He thinks international treaties are unmanly. He thinks we have to be terrorists to beat terrorists. Goddamn drunken faceshooting bloodsucker.
    This from a guy with 27 defermants and a draft-evasion baby.

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

You read all that into that statement? Wow, not at all how it reads.

8. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

No matter what you think of Dick Cheney, that is one hell of a leap, FB. Your hatred of the administration has clearly affected your ability to read and comprehend.

9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Opus this morning was terrific in its simplicity.

10. What do you guys think he means, based on the context of the last seven years?
    This is an administration that recognizes no limits on what it perceives to be its power. Cheney thought the Watergate investigations -- not the crimes, the investigations -- weakened the country. He wrote the bullshit minority report on Iran-Contra that laid the groundwork for everything that's happened since these guys took over. (Read it some time. It will curl your hair.) These guys employed John Yoo, put Sam (Signing Statements) Alito on the Supreme Court, and have been quite open in their desire for a truly imperial presidency, which is something Cheney has fought for since Nixon got on the chopper on the lawn.
    This is the guy's history -- so, no, I don't give him the benefit of the doubt when he talks like this.

11. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Reading exactly what you posted, FB, I just don't see that it means what you say it means. Sorry, but I just can't get that out of reading the passage you posted.

12. OK. No prob'
    Thanks for calling my attention to Opus. I missed that this AM.

Draft saved Draft deleted