1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dooley Womack, please report to Baltimore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Aug 26, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Talk about coincidence - I'm re-reading "Ball Four" right now. I just passed where he finally got a start for the Pilots - and got "creamed". What an awesome, awesome book.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. When I first read the book, as a high-school kid, the jokes and the "beaver shooting" humor were what hooked me in.

Now, what stands out is that for all his wisecracks and jokes about Joe Schultz, Bouton really did love the game -- as the classic closing line to Ball Four attests:

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always used to enjoy that fact that during quiet study hall in junior high, I woudl read that book. I always felt like I was getting away with something by reading a book that had sexual overtones while in school.

5. WolvEagle

Just remember - Baseball is an Ass.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I <i>loved</i> Ball Four. Don't know how many times I read it, or how many hundreds of times my friends and I traded lines from it. It rekindled my sagging interest in baseball, because it showed what things were really like instead of the sanitized, "Joe Doubles spent the afternoon at the kids' hospital" stuff that the club sold.

I still love Ball Four, and I thank Bouton and Len Shecter for it. But I have to admit that my perspective changed at least a bit after I got into the business and discovered that Mike Marshall was an Ass.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love that book. I spent the summer of 69 in Seattle, went to several games at Sicks Stadium.

Bouton came through Richmond during his 1978 comeback. Had a couple of interesting conversations with him.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've read Ball Four. Not much to add. ... except Smasher and Moddy are two old dudes. *I* sometimes feel old on this board, but geez guys.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I am old. In other news ****

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Would you have preferred "wise"?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Okay boys and girls, tomorrow is my 30th birthday and I'll be thirty years old. I don't feel like I'm third. I look like I'm in my early twenties and I feel like I'm in my early twenties. My arm, however, is over one hundred years old."

12. WolvEagle

Hey Joe Morgan - what kind of curveball was that?

Draft saved Draft deleted