1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dooley Womack, please report to Baltimore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Aug 26, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Was skimming through one of my favorite books recently when I realized that one of SportsJournalists.com's most prolific posters and one of SportsJournalists.com's favorite writers were forever linked to each other 40 years ago on this date (Aug. 26, 1969).

From "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton:

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

this is a joke, right? ??? ??? ???

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As good a spring as Jim Bouton, bitches. 8)

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

at least dooley doesn't look like joe torre with tits.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well said

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In honor of this historic day, let's go pound some Bud!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Horace Guy "Dooley" Womack (Born: August 25, 1939 in Columbia, South Carolina) is a former right-handed throwing, left-handed hitting relief pitcher who played for the New York Yankees, Houston Astros, Seattle Pilots and Oakland Athletics from 1966 to 1970. He was 6'0" tall but weighed only 170 pounds. - Wikipedia.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is my favorite post of the day, and I'm only five hours into said day. Spectacularly awesome.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"The end of an era. And there goes the Seattle dynasty, slowly crumbling." - Mike Hegan.

I've always thought that scene is one of the best transitional parts of a book ever (if that makes any sense). Here you have Bouton on a last place team, then all of a sudden, he gets traded into the pennant race.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

MIKE HEGAN!

The voice of the Indians (well, on TV) when I was growing up. Him and Rick Manning.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See, I quoted Mike Hegan. Am I still dead to you, IJAG?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Glad I can help.

If you liked that, you would love some of the other intros I can pull from there.

1. Bison Dele (April 6, 1969 – presumed dead July 7, 2002)[1] formerly known as Brian Carson Williams, was an American professional basketball player who finished his career as a center for the NBA's Detroit Pistons. He is believed to have been murdered at sea by his older brother in 2002.

2. Troy McClure is a fictional character in the American animated sitcom The Simpsons. He was voiced by Phil Hartman, and first appears in the second season episode "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment".[1] McClure is a washed-up actor, usually shown doing low-level work, such as hosting infomercials and educational films. He appears as the central character in "A Fish Called Selma", in which he marries Selma Bouvier to aid his failing career and quash rumors about his personal life.

3. George Lewis Costanza is a fictional character in the United States–based television sitcom Seinfeld (1989–1998), played by Jason Alexander. He has variously been described as a "short, stocky, slow-witted, bald man"

Draft saved Draft deleted