1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doogie Doo dilemma

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thought I would query my SportsJournalists.com friends on their feelings regarding the sanctity of their trash bins.

Say you are walking your dog and pick up after it with a plastic bag like a responsible pet owner.

It's garbage day and folks have their big bins out by the curb.

Is it OK to slip your dog waste into a bin?

How about if a bin is kind full and the lid is open? Does that make a difference?

What if the garbage men have come already and the bin is empty?

I'll hang up and listen. ...

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Doogie doo? Did Neil Patrick Harris shit on your lawn?

(If the bin is full and out on the curb I have no problem with dumping it in.)

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Absolutely acceptable. If you're offended by the smell of a garbage bin, generally speaking, you shouldn't be sticking your head in garbage bins. I'd rather you throw your doggie doo in my garbage bin than leave it in my yard.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care if someone dropped it in my garbage bin, but I probably wouldn't drop it in someone else's. The people who would get all red-ass about that can be tough to spot, and it's not worth potentially causing unnecessary drama.

Especially if it were empty. We've got neighbors who keep their trash bin in their garage, and I could see some of them not being happy at having to smell another person's dog's crap whenever they get in or get out of their car.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ask Drip, he may have an idea or two.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a question that comes up frequently in my day=-to-day existence... I fall into the camp in which it's OK when the bin is out by the street and waiting for pick-up but not OK if the trash collector has already come by and you're, in effect, asking Mr. Neighbor to store your dogshit in his bin until next pick-up.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Carry it home and put it in your own bin.

I believe the garbage companies prefer everything in the bins to be in a bag that's tied. A loose bag of dog crap kind of violates that. Don't think they are particularly strict about it, though.

Also, when I get home I put the stuff in a sealable container (one of those quart bags). The smell goes right though a bag that isn't sealed.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This Mr. Neighbor keeps the bin in the garage (raccoons) and the smell if an empty bin deposit isn't noticed and removed makes for a wonderfully fragrant garage, especially in the heat of the summer.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You double bag dog crap? Seems kind of wasteful.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I am outside and they see me, a courtesy "May I?" would be nice, but if I am not there, I could care less.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I put it in my own dumpster. Or, if my son is with me, I throw it at him.
    Last time I was back in Richmond, there were about a dozen piles of crap on my lawn right next to the road. Which is interesting, because the dog lives with me. I'll be there again this weekend and semi-hope I catch the dog doing it.

Several times on my walks, neighbors stopped me to thank me for picking up after the dog. LOTS of people don't do that.

We have one area away from the neighborhood pool with no house there that is kind of a DogDooLand - the hope is to have the dog time it and go there. I'm a responsible dog owner and all but NOT having to pick it up is OK, too.

On the street or in/near someone's yard? Pick it up and put it in your own dumpster. (or someone you don't like's mailbox)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, if my bin is empty, keep your crap out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted