1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter charge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 16, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, because taking the guy's license away was so effective in stopping the dirtbag who killed Nick Adenhart from ever drinking and driving again.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ah, good point. Better just give life without parole to first-time DUI offenders. How silly of me.

So Stallworth's sentence should be enhanced because of his celebrity status? That's fair. Lock him up longer because Paris Hilton got a DUI too.

Don't bitch about celebrities getting special treatment and then insist that they get a different kind of special treatment.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, you suggested that taking the license away makes it so the person is no longer a threat. I gave you a very good example of why that doesn't hold up. Your snark doesn't change that fact.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I did a quick read through the thread and noticed a lot of people bitching that Stallworth got off light.

My initial reaction is: I agree.

But, in the spirit of fairness, I wonder if ANYONE can make that claim based on facts (other similar cases down there) rather than emotion.

I wonder if any reporter(s) will study other cases and compare the sentences.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Judith Miller did 85 days for contempt of court.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I do understand where you are coming from. But it doesn't change the fact the man is DEAD.

I'm not saying Stallworth should be locked up for life, but people do more than 30 days on a typical DUI with NO accidents, much less injuries or fatalities. And, no, he should not be allowed to play in the NFL.... at least for a while.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Simply not true.

The typical first time DUI in Florida doesn't even get jail time.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My roommate got his second DUI in a year about six months ago. No jail time. Took his license for a year.

So Mark, you again know not of what you speak.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know a guy doing 10 years in state prison for DWI. Of course, not his first. But neither did he kill anyone. So, yeah, every circumstance is different.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one is taking into account that the victim's family is reportedly OK with the plea agreement.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

First of all, I think it's highly questionable whether longer sentences actually deter crime. That would mean that criminals actually take those things into consideration BEFORE acting. And that would be an exception rather than the rule.

Longer sentences may reduce crime statistics in that they keep certain individuals out of society for longer periods of time AFTER they have committed their offenses, but they do little to prevent people from acting. And, of course, this particular incident does not involve premeditation in the first place.
    Secondly, if you build a lot of prisons out in the boonies, you will have a terribly difficult time finding adequate staff. States are having a hard enough time finding and keeping staff as it is. Which is understandable: how many people want to sign up for a job in which they are subjected to being cursed, spit upon, assaulted and have their lives put in danger daily.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My cousin has had two DUIs. No jail time for him, either, although he couldn't drive for a long time, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted