1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter charge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Michael Vick went to jail longer for killing dogs.

Evidently, in America dogs>humans.

2. taller hack

taller hack Member

Absolutely Pathetic and embarassing. Makes me sick to my stomach. If it were any of us we'd be in the pen for years.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Thank god Charles Barkley didn't hit anyone when he drove drunk. He's still an important fixture in my viewing pleasure.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I'm sorry... But animals are not more important than humans. Point blank. Killing a dog should not put you in prison for longer than killing a human, no matter how much torture was involved. Dogs are fucking animals. That's all.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How about killing and torturing multiple dogs and running a criminal enterprise? I don't think anyone is arguing a dog's life is greater than a human life -- although I could certainly make that argument based on personal experiences -- but the law is the law.

There are minimum and recommended sentences for different violations. It's just the way things are set up.

6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

They. Are. Animals.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yes and killing and torturing them and engaging in a criminal enterprise is illegal.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Killing someone while driving drunk should get you 10 years, not 30 freaking days.

9. so killing a dog trumps killing a human being? I'm sorry, this society is fucked up!. That sentence is a fucking joke

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

It's illegal.... but how is it more illegal than killing a human being? Christ almighty.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's about intent. An accidental death vs. purposely killing animals.

Remember that Vick's sentence wasn't as harsh just because he killed the dogs. It was because he ran the operation and funded it.

With Stallworth, there's a reason it's called manslaughter vs. murder. It's about intent.

If people want to argue the sentence should be longer, fine. I wouldn't disagree. But I don't see the point in comparing two unrelated incidents -- legally speaking.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One, shove your fanboy stuff where the sun don't shine. And yes, dragging the attack on Steelers fans into this is fanboy stuff, not because of Brownie fan loyalty to Stallworth, but because of your hatred of the Steelers and their fans.

I don't give a damn what team Stallworth plays for, either, for pretty much the same reason as you. He sucks. I care what he did. Just as I have ripped him, I have ripped Little, who plays for the Rams, more time than I can count on this board. And I have ripped the system for letting him get away with killing somebody, then violating his probation by getting another DUI. You can look it up.

But since you want to dig into the comparison, there is a big damn difference between riding a motorcycle without a helmet and having the wrong type of license and getting behind the wheel of a car drunk. I know you are smart enough to grasp that, you just don't feel like bothering due to your issues with Steelers fans.

The funny part is I agree with you that the comparisons between Vick and Stallworth have been overly simplistic. The way each reacted to his crime is a factor. The brutality of Vick's actions and the intent behind them, to me, is an even larger factor.

That said, we still don't punish drunk drivers harshly enough, particularly those that kill someone while they do it. I think a big reason for that is that far too many people in this country have done it. We just don't take it seriously enough. No, Stallworth didn't intend to kill the guy. But he did intend to drive drunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted