1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter charge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 16, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Golly gee, that was an interesting (and as usual, naive) take on one person's view of life.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"If I can live my life without getting wasted on booze, why can't these clowns?"

As if those "clowns" should live their lives the way Mark apparently does.

Don't be a douche.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Huh? I'm not the one getting charged with DWI, much less manslaughter. I bet Stallworth regrets everything about that night, and will for a long time.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

One last time....not everyone has to life their life the way you do. Him going to the bar to have a few drinks -- or even a lot of drinks -- isn't the issue. Getting behind the wheel afterward is the issue.

Then again, maybe I'm just being naive. As usual. ::)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, geez:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/07/donte_stallworth_says_he_was_o.html

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I wish every bar/diner/cafe/etc., that serves booze would have the equipment needed to measure one's BAC before they head out the door for home. That won't ever happen, I know, but I can wish.

Could solve a lot of problems.

I've also wondered how impaired I'd be blowing a .02, .04, .06, .08 and so on.

My state is .08. Individuals react differently but I've always wondered whether .08 is too high/low for the general public.

The DOT in my state argues that drives can become impaired well before they blow a .08. Well, if that's the case, why now lower the max BAC?

Answer: Because the state politicians are so beholden to the friggin' booze lobby they'd never vote their conscience.

One quick addition: It is POSSIBLE Stallworth, depending on how much he consumed, didn't believe he was impaired/drunk.

Should have called a cab/limo/friend but it isn't necesssarily true that he made the conscious choice to say: "I know I'm drunk but screw it. I'm driving."

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I honestly hadn't thought of this before: Is it possible the guy thought Stallworth was flashing his lights to say "Go ahead"?

Sounds from that narrative that Stallworth thought enough time had gone by that he wasn't drunk anymore. If he took three or four shots at 2 a.m. and went home around 4 (no mention of how he got there, I notice), then his BAC might still have been rising at that point. But by taking the nap, he probably felt like everything was clear. And when he woke up, he was probably a little groggy, but just figured he was just waking up.

Not trying to justify his actions, but my reading of it is that he really didn't PLAN to drive drunk.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How often do people really plan to drive drunk? That's the real problem. They don't plan. They just put themselves in a situation where they will be impaired when they have to make the decision whether or not to drive. When they are impaired, they are also less likely to realize that they are not in control enough to drive.

The act is choosing to drink when you are driving or making sure that you never end up in that situation in the first place.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Edwards should be in jail for paying $695 for a $25 bottle of Goose.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvaP0Weh6nrIuN9k8l9vXoY5nYcB?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Fucker doesn't even serve the full 30 days.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When I was in Europe they started putting breathalyzers in bars ... then had to take them out shortly thereafter because people were getting into contests to see who could blow the highest.

Draft saved Draft deleted