1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter charge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Reports out of Miami indicate that Cleveland Browns receiver Donte Stallworth will enter a guilty plea on Tuesday to a charge of DUI manslaughter, stemming from an accident earlier this year in which he struck and killed a 59-year-old construction worker.

The plea reportedly calls for Stallworth to serve a jail sentence plus a period of probation, but reports are not official and the judge is not required to agree to terms of the plea bargain.

I'm not one to want to hammer people for honest mistakes, but if Michael Vick has to serve 23 months for killing and abusing DOGS, it seems like taking the life of a human being --- even if unintentional --- should merit more than a few months. People know that when you get behind the wheel of a car after consuming alcohol, that you are playing with fire. Stallworth got burned. Doesn't make him a 'bad' person, but neither does it bring the victim back.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

ESPN.com headline says Stallworth will serve 30 days.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Murder someone with your car, do 30 days. Great system they have in Florida.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A ruling of 30 days makes me sick to my stomach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

But wait, Devil ... 1,000 hours of community service. and 10 years probation.

Pathetic.

6. 93Devil

I have always wondered this; does visiting a hospital for NBA Cares or filming a United Way commercial count as community service?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

most likely

8. JackReacher

Any chance the financial settlement figures get leaked?

Has to be in the $10 million range, right? At least?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No chance it was $10 million. The dead guy was at fault as well.

10. 93Devil

I would hope it's everything he has and $100 more to boot.

I am guessing he has no assets to liquidate. Even though he makes millions, I am sure he owns next to nothing.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd have given him that much for being a POS player for the Browns last year.

12. JackReacher

At fault for jaywalking? I'm pretty sure DUI/manslaughter trumps jaywalking.

Draft saved Draft deleted