1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth hits, kills pedestrian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColbertNation, Mar 14, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

my thoughts exactly. a sad commentary on our times, indeed.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why are we congratulating someone for doing the right thing?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Because you praise the actions you want to see repeated. That's Management 101.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know I'm picking on a minor point, but this has nothing to do with "our times." There was no idyllic past where people always did the right thing.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In that case, I'd like to thank all of you for not hitting and killing a pedestrian at 7am this morning.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If doing the right thing had never been praised, people wouldn't have figured out what the right thing was.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Donte has shown a lot more class than some of his other colleagues in the business by maning up to it. Tragic story nonetheless, but I hope it's not alcohol related.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Are they technically still a pedestrian if they're asleep in the road? And by "in the road" I mean on the curb. And by "asleep" I mean standing. Cuz if not, then I'm set.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Except me. I failed you.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you. It can't be said enough.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Not looking good.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/prosecutors-poised-to-charge-stallworth-with-dui/

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If he saw him and had time to not only honk, but flash his lights...well, he had time to come to a complete stop, unless he was going way, way, way, over the speed limit.

Drunk, sober, whatever...the admission that he chose to honk and flash is absolutely damning. Brake first, second and third; honk/flash/signal only when you know you can safely do so without compromising your/others' safety.

Those of us who have lived or do live in regions with significant deer/elk/moose/etc. populations will in especial understand the possibly devasting consequences of traveling too quickly and not braking quickly enough.

I would also talk about the importance of driving near the speed limit, but that's a battle few are interested in.

This is sad as hell because it was probably avoidable.

Draft saved Draft deleted