1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't you dare step into this booth woman!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

We shall have to agree to disagree here. I think both Pam Ward and Beth Mowins are excellent. Either of them would do a perfectly good job on an NFL game if given the opportunity.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Off topic from where the thread has gone, but I hope you forgot the blue font.

3. Watcher

Watcher New Member

Actually, it's a silly argument anyway. nielsen.com now shows that 33.6% of the football audience is female. And not every man is some sort of Neanderthal who is watching the game just to get a glimpse of Erin Andrews. What makes a "good" announcer is completely subjective. Some folks like the over-the-top presentations of some of the excitable yellers. Others like a calm measured presentation. There is no right answer, only a perception.

But just look at the numbers: there are 32 NFL teams. Each one of them will have a national broadcast (so 16 broadcast teams a week) plus each team has a radio broadcast team (so 32 of those). 48 total broadcast teams a week and NONE of them are female. That's not even counting any syndicated radio broadcasts. I agree that every analyst should have football experience as a player or coach, but more often than not the (male) play-by-play person does not. So football experience is no excuse. Not even one of 48? And there are loads of college broadcasts, each of which would be one TV (or streaming) team and 2 radio teams. I can only name two female pxp. There might be some local ones out there but I have not heard of any. You can point to a number of female knowledgeable sports reporters throughout the industry so knowing and reporting sports is clearly possible for women. Even if the percentage of capable sports women vs. men in the industry is a paltry 5%, that means in a given week of NFL broadcasts (say 50) there should be at least 2 that are women. And there are WAY more college games out there yet only two female pxp of note.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I would love for the booth too have a talented female talk football. I mean, if Erin Andrews moved from the sideline to the broadcasting booth I don't think anyone would complain. I think, the world is changing and maybe just maybe the sports broadcasting booth would change as well.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just saw this on my facebook thread from a female: "Im sorry but the announcer women talking right now for the MSU Game on ESPN is on my last nerve. I hate her voice!!!"

Made me think of this thread...

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I noticed her, too ... but the results on the field irritated me much more. :(

Without reading through this whole thread, I would say female broadcasters don't bother me. The annoying cliches, network promos, etc. coming out of the mouths of both genders are what's annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted