1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't you dare step into this booth woman!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 12, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out if Lugnuts is IJAG's boyfriend

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG YOU DON'T KNOW THE WESTING GAME? I somehow figured it would be in your wheelhouse.

3. dooley_womack1

Looked it up on Wiki. I was in high school by that time, so I'm not quite the demo

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I feel so responsible for this thread going to hell, having mixed up Rachel Ward and Rachel Nichols. On the other hand, it's more than a fleeting thought ...

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't agree with your conclusion, but you do point out a good reason.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Still surprised they ever got the vote.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You and Elliotte make excellent points. Unless you're a Caray or a Buck and get handed big gigs right away, an aspiring pbp person is looking at a lot of long bus rides in the bush leagues or spending Fridays and Saturdays in little high school press boxes, and in a very male world at that.

8. dooley_womack1

They can vote and be in the booth. But they better still make the damn sandwich!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And for 70% to 90% of the pay scale!

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1983185,00.html

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Please. I see women doing play by play all the time. Try watching the Food Network without seeing them.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

How many more males are there trying to get a job in the booth compared to females? I'd venture to guess there are just a bit more males.

But by your logic, they should get a job in the booth just because they are women.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Realistically, I think the way for women to break into pxp is through womens basketball. I did a few games on radio and thought long and hard about pursuing that. The problem for me was the travel. Regularly being away from my kids for shitty mid-major womens hoop sounded absolutely abysmal. That, and I find pxp very difficult.

That being said, there are some wonderful male pxp guys who are willing to mentor women because they genuinely would like to see more women in the specialty. I also think there's a lot of opportunity at the networks. They want to try... they just need qualified female voices.

Draft saved Draft deleted